Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what a surprise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what a surprise

well i found out yesterday that i have a spun main bearing. i pulled the front cover and you can see the bearing sticking out. i am very displeased with this car i bought first the slave cracked because the guy who built it never put in a piolet bearing and now the bearning. Is there any way of installing new bearings from under the car if i dropped the k member
Old 05-15-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you drop the K member you'll have to support the motor some other way. The K member is the only thing holding it up besides the trans mount. And it's a main bearing which means the crank needs to come out and be looked at/polished which in turn means that the trans is going to have to come out or at least be unbolted so you can get the flywheel/flexplate down (not sure if your M6 or A4) to drop the crank. It's going to be a pretty daunting task to say the least. This is why most people take this opportunity to build a forged motor. You don't want to have to be back there again. I don't know your financial situation but I would look into this route if you have the funds. To answer your original question.... technically, yes, it could be done. Realistically it's going to suck *****...

Last edited by 98RedBird; 05-15-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Teching In

ya money is not good at all i got f-d over on this car, most people know know who the guy is on here, (mr badd) im just going to sell the car befor something elese breaks. i just hope the crank aint bad so i can drop the k member while holding the engine with a cherry picker.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chitownracer77
ya money is not good at all i got f-d over on this car, most people know know who the guy is on here, (mr badd) im just going to sell the car befor something elese breaks. i just hope the crank aint bad so i can drop the k member while holding the engine with a cherry picker.
Sorry to hear that man. Regarding the crank you'll have to drop it regardless to get to the other half of the bearing and you really should have the crank polished simply as good measure when you have a failure like that. Good luck though man!
Old 05-15-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chitownracer77
well i found out yesterday that i have a spun main bearing. i pulled the front cover and you can see the bearing sticking out. i am very displeased with this car i bought first the slave cracked because the guy who built it never put in a piolet bearing and now the bearning. Is there any way of installing new bearings from under the car if i dropped the k member
Can you post a pic of the bearing sticking out.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Teching In

ya ill get a pic in a little while im going over to my grandmas where the car is at.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Tenured Member

Looks to me you cracked the block to look at it right behind the bearing