Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

good adjustable poly-poly end PHR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default good adjustable poly-poly end PHR?

i don't understand why all the PHR have one rod end or 2 rod ends. i'm sure its for stability, but arn't they louder than poly ends and less reliable? i found a couple with poly/poly ends on ebay. i have a daily driver and literally the only reason im buying one is to center the rear. so is the poly/poly end a good idea? they are selling one from spohn. thats a good brand right? i know everyone recomends umi on here but they don't sell poly/ poly. i've been searching and think im makin the right decision. there is also a cheaper one thats just uncoated aluminum that is selling for 115 and says J&M makes it which sounds like an off brand. thoughts?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

The rod end is designed to eliminate binding of the rear end. When the rear end is rotated the stiff polyurethane bushings prevent the rear end from going where it needs to, this puts pressure on the panhard bar mounts and is what we call "bind". This is a extremely important when adjusting pinion angle with a adjustable torque arm. As you adjust the rear end rotation the rod end on the panhard bar allows the rear end to rotate correctly with out binding. We put a polyurethane bushing on one end to help absorb road noise.

We have a nice on-car adjustable set-up that features a poly bushing on one end a QA1 Teflon lined rod end on the other. This is a DOM steel bar, I do not like aluminum bars, I see them flexing a lot under hard loads and the threads of aluminum can easily been ripped. Also the J&M bar rod ends may be noisy depending on what rod end they are using.

Please take a look at the link and let me know if you have any additional questions- www.umiperformance.com/2022

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 05-15-2008, 03:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The panhard rod is responsible for locating the rear end side-to-side in the chassis. Factory F-Body panhard rods are made from stamped-u-shaped material and utilize soft, rubber bushings that allow deflection under load. BMR panhard rods are all made from large diameter 1.25", heavy wall DOM tubing and utilize either greaseable polyurethane bushings or HD spherical bearings by QA1. The adjustable versions use left-hand and right-hand thread to allow easy "on-car" adjustment. Our CNC machined adjusters are made from 4130 chromoly and have rolled threads. All rod end spacers are 304 stainless. You won't find higher quality pieces. It is my opinion that you will be very happy with an adjustable urethane bushing ended panhard rod, the rod ends do transfer more road noise. Unless the car see's alot of track time the rod ends are not needed. Here is a link to the panhard rod that will suit your needs. http://www.bmrfabrication.com/phr/PHR002_large.jpg Let me know if you have any further questions.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For clarification, the JM rod ends are FK bearings 3 piece ends. They are a few steps above the QA1 ends that have become common in these applications. I've been beating the crap out of mine (track use, autocross use and a bit of street use) and they are absolutely silent. Probably among the best rod ends I've ever used in any of my applications.

With that said, UMI builds very good quality parts and I believe BMR has improved their parts since I last laid my hands on a set as well.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Banned

my UMI double adjustable rod/rod ended PHR is pretty stiff. i wonder if its possible to swap in the jm rod ends?
Old 05-16-2008, 06:08 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cookba
my UMI double adjustable rod/rod ended PHR is pretty stiff. i wonder if its possible to swap in the jm rod ends?
We have tremendous luck with the QA1 rod ends and they are still one of the best rod ends out there in my opinion. We have been using them for 5 years now... I don't think you will need to do this.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 05-16-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cookba
I agree with Ryan, The QA1 XM series rod ends are one of the better quality rod ends out there. I wouldn't bother changing them unless your rod ends become noisy. I've found that rod ends wear considerably faster under track use than street use. A street only car may never have an issue with noise and wear (not for a very long time) on rod ends. A track car on sticky tires may find them getting noisy after a long weekend of track abuse (brake hop seems really hard on them too).

I've used the QA1's myself and it's a very good quality rod end. Like anything, you can spend more money and buy better ends. Are they needed for your application? It's hard to say. I do like the FK's for severe duty use (road courses, etc). On the other hand, I don't care so much about noise on a track only car, gutted track cars are noisy anyway. You can also buy expensive Aurora rod ends and QA1 also has an upgraded line (how much do you want to spend?). You can always "go farther", but if the QA1 XM (XMR/XML) series are working well for you, I wouldn't change a thing.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Launching!

hmmm...... decisions decisions..... do i want noise or bind? does the rear bind much during street use with the poly ends? thanks for your input though guys.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by onoiocoko
hmmm...... decisions decisions..... do i want noise or bind? does the rear bind much during street use with the poly ends? thanks for your input though guys.

If you go with the poly/rod set-up you will get minimal to no road noise increases. The polyurethane bushing bolts to the chassis of the car and prevents unwanted road noise from entering the car. The rod end we use features a self lubricated Teflon lining that eliminates metal to metal contact to prevent rattles ect. This type of set-up will help eliminate some of the bind will still offering a quiet comfortable ride.

www.umiperformance.com/2022

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 05-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned

thanks for all the info guys. I dont doubt UMI's quality (my entire suspension is UMI, except K-member and a-arms, yet). So until something breaks i'll just stick with them, they seem to be working just a little noisy. thanks ryan and trackbird
Old 05-16-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Umi phb just came yesterday, im amazed with the build quality. dont have it on the car yet but if i remember when i do, ill post up how it is. cant wait...

Quick Reply: good adjustable poly-poly end PHR?