Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 rebuild question, Pistons, Rods, etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 rebuild question, Pistons, Rods, etc

Hi, thanks for looking at my post. I have a few questions and searched through some previous posts with nothing as specific as I wanted it. Ok, here it is...

I bought a complete 98 ls1 motor with about 60k miles, I was told, no proof just going off of trust. I am putting a set of Lloyd Elliot heads (shaved enough to bump compression to 11:1 with a .030 head gasket) and a custom comp cam with .613/.607 lift with 230/240 duration and a 111 lsa. I bought the Edelbroc Vic Jr carb intake because I am putting the engine in something other then an f body and wanted to make it simpler. Im going to go with a 750 4 barrel, havent picked one out yet. My goal is about 400 at the wheels through a T56. my question is about the internals of the motor, and what to look at when I pull it apart. I dont believe I need forged internals for the motor. I would like to know what a cost effective piston/rod combination would be, or could I keep stock internals and just go with new bearings and rings for my power goals? I will be installing arp rod bolts and was also wondering what a safe, long lasting redline would be, I have heard anywhere from 6500-6800? Also since the motor will be at a machine shop, what is a safe overbore if i decided to do that? .030 over? The motor will be going into a second gen rx7 and should weigh a hair over 2700 lbs. thanks for any help.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Banned

Give me a call @ 440-327-7702. There are alot of different options to go through and we do ALOT of rebuilds.

You really have some loaded questions there and there are many avenues to take. If you are looking at 400 RWHP the stock internals would work fine for you. If this is something you are going to be revving up real high, you may want to consider at least aftermarket rod bolts.

On the carb end of things we have had GREAT success with the Quickfuel line of carbs in our street/strip applications.

Again feel free to give us a call or shoot me and email/pm and we can go over some options.

Thanks,
Leo
Old 05-15-2008, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrecked vette
Hi, thanks for looking at my post. I have a few questions and searched through some previous posts with nothing as specific as I wanted it. Ok, here it is...

I bought a complete 98 ls1 motor with about 60k miles, I was told, no proof just going off of trust. I am putting a set of Lloyd Elliot heads (shaved enough to bump compression to 11:1 with a .030 head gasket) and a custom comp cam with .613/.607 lift with 230/240 duration and a 111 lsa. I bought the Edelbroc Vic Jr carb intake because I am putting the engine in something other then an f body and wanted to make it simpler. Im going to go with a 750 4 barrel, havent picked one out yet. My goal is about 400 at the wheels through a T56. my question is about the internals of the motor, and what to look at when I pull it apart. I dont believe I need forged internals for the motor. I would like to know what a cost effective piston/rod combination would be, or could I keep stock internals and just go with new bearings and rings for my power goals? I will be installing arp rod bolts and was also wondering what a safe, long lasting redline would be, I have heard anywhere from 6500-6800? Also since the motor will be at a machine shop, what is a safe overbore if i decided to do that? .030 over? The motor will be going into a second gen rx7 and should weigh a hair over 2700 lbs. thanks for any help.
You can't go .030 over on an LS1. They usually get honed out to 3.905" or so. 400 at the tires is easily obtainable on stock internals but why? You can get rods really cheap and psitons pretty cheap too for a 3.905 bore and they will do way more than you are currently asking in case you want to bump up power later.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JDM74
You can't go .030 over on an LS1. They usually get honed out to 3.905" or so. 400 at the tires is easily obtainable on stock internals but why? You can get rods really cheap and psitons pretty cheap too for a 3.905 bore and they will do way more than you are currently asking in case you want to bump up power later.
400 is the number I am using so that I dont get my goals smashed. The guy I bought the heads and cam off of said that he sees 450 to the wheels with his set up, a tune and long tubes. plus i am bumping the compression. I guess I just wanted to know if i wasnt going to buy forged parts, if there were any aftermarket that are better then stock and not to expensive.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with JDM74. For highly reputable rods, rod bolts, and pistons, you can get all three for about $1300. not including bearings and such but the bulk of it. Do it right the first time or you will be ripping it apart again in 10-12 months time.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Im still kicking around some ideas. Might keep the stock rods if they look good, just go with some new bearings, rod bolts and pistons. how are the stock rods? what rpm are they safe to with good bolts?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

engine is at the machine shop finally, any suggestions on brands of pistons and rods?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

just curious if you have any pics of the car, about to start a 2nd gen rx7 swap myself
Old 09-27-2008, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

I do have pics, but its sitting stock right now with the rotary still.