Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heh, will i pass an inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default heh, will i pass an inspection?

next week i'm putting pacesetter longtube headers and an offroad y-pipe on. my car's 10 years old now so i'm not sure how closely they'll "inspect" it. I heard that it no longer has to pass emission tests, altho some places do a visual test? the y-pipe has no cats, and it's going into a stock catback with a cutout. am I going to need to get some dummy cats or somthin to pass? or how hard would it be to find someone willing to pass mt car?

thanks,
kyle
Old 05-15-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NC has visual tests and the OBD test. As long as the car is 25 years or less it has to pass emmissions, and now in WAKE, FORSYTH, GUILFORD, DURHAM, GASTON, CABARRUS, MECKLENBURG, ORANGE, UNION counties, you must pass a sniff test.

So no you won't pass.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Teching In

What?!? That's new. Please give us a link that shows some details about this sniffer test for the NC counties you list. All I can find is an OBDII requirement:

http://www.ncdot.org/DMV/vehicle_ser...uirements.html
Old 05-15-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

nope, not with that offroad y pipe
Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry all....that was old news. That was until OBDII went into effect. From what I have read, the sniffer tests are done.

"How long will tailpipe testing of vehicles continue before being replaced entirely by OBD II testing?

In accordance with North Carolina statutes (House Bill 969), tailpipe emissions testing will continue on 1975 through 1995 vehicles until January 1, 2006 in Phase I Counties Only. In addition, all 1996 and newer vehicles will require OBD II emissions tests in these counties. The use of tailpipe testing equipment on 1996 and newer vehicles is not permitted.

Phase II through Phase VII counties will be required to perform emissions tests on 1996 and newer OBD II vehicles through the vehicle’s OBD II connector only. After January 1, 2006, the only vehicles requiring emissions testing will be 1996 and newer OBD II vehicles, regardless of the county and tailpipe testing will be eliminated in Phase I counties."

http://www.obd2.com/northcarolina/nc_faq.htm#3

But still, a visual test will be performed and with a ORY it would fail. Trust me, any car like this that even looks modded out will be gone over with a fine toothed comb. Last time I was in, I got asked 50 questions about mine.

Ignorance is bliss!!!!

Last edited by LS1Z28_98; 05-15-2008 at 08:43 PM.