Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring factory gauges Help NEEDED Big time!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wiring factory gauges Help NEEDED Big time!

Hey guys I am in the process of completing an ls1/t56 1989 rx7. I pulled the engine/tranny from an 00 trans am WS6. I was told that I can actually fit the trans am gauge cluster in the rx7 dash and then just plug an play those gauges into the ls1 engine harness. I already got rid of the trans am chassis after pulling lots of parts from it to sell later (Once I get the cars I have a complete ws6 front end and interior to sell). I need to know, though, where that bundle of wires connects to the engine harness so I can make sure to pull it at the junk yard. I also wanted to know if the stock fbody fuel gauge is 0-90 ohm. I heard thats what gm fuel gauges usually are.

Please let me know.. I have been workin on this thing goin on 2 years and I really wanna get it on the road before the summer.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 05-15-2008, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try the conversion section, I'm sure there are few guys that can help you out.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

its not really a conversion specific question though.. Forget the fact that this is going in an Rx7 and it is Fbody specific only. I just need to know where the wire cluster is located in the car (whether its under the hood on the drivers side ect..) that goes from the gauges to the engine harness and if it truly is plug and play.

Also when I go to the junkyard to pull it can I pull it from any ls1 fbody.. do they all use the same wiring for the instrument cluster. Like could I pull that part from an ls1 automatic fbody and still have it work even though mine is a t56?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

bump it up
Old 05-16-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default wiring

This might help or at least get you on the right path.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/917906-help-me-decipher-my-wiring-harness-lots-pics.html
Old 05-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Teching In

the connectors off the engine wire harness that deal with your instrument panel are the blue and white (c220 and c230) connectors that plug into the BCM on the passenger side kick panel.

The instrument cluster gets most of it's readings via class 2 serial data bus, I don't know how you plan on getting around that, the computer get's angry when the rest of the people on the serial bus aren't talking, maybe you'll be OK just ignoring the codes and running the serial line from the pcm into the IP????

I've done a LS1 conversion in a 69 GMC, but I used autometer gages, and i've converted a 99 firebird v6 to an ls1. If you plan on pulling the complete harness out that goes to the instrument panel, you're in for some work.

I have a pdf file of wiring diagrams for 2000 model year camaro/firebird, but it's too big to attach here. If you're interested I'll e-mail it to you.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 69GMC/99LS1
the connectors off the engine wire harness that deal with your instrument panel are the blue and white (c220 and c230) connectors that plug into the BCM on the passenger side kick panel.

The instrument cluster gets most of it's readings via class 2 serial data bus, I don't know how you plan on getting around that, the computer get's angry when the rest of the people on the serial bus aren't talking, maybe you'll be OK just ignoring the codes and running the serial line from the pcm into the IP????

I've done a LS1 conversion in a 69 GMC, but I used autometer gages, and i've converted a 99 firebird v6 to an ls1. If you plan on pulling the complete harness out that goes to the instrument panel, you're in for some work.

I have a pdf file of wiring diagrams for 2000 model year camaro/firebird, but it's too big to attach here. If you're interested I'll e-mail it to you.
+1 this is what I found out after calling a few salvage yards. Thanks for the help but it looks like I'm goin the autometer route.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Teching In

This is a smaller pdf of the instrument panel, it says analog, but most of it looks correct just glancing at it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
instrument.panel-analog.pdf (185.3 KB, 269 views)

Quick Reply: Wiring factory gauges Help NEEDED Big time!