General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Guys with steering problem experience...please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys with steering problem experience...please help!!!

The car is a 98 Z28 M6 121K. My symptoms:

As I turn the wheel when I pull out of my driveway or at a stop light where I am turning or really at any time turning the wheel, I feel resistance in the wheel for about the first inch or two of steering wheel travel. After I get past that, the wheel frees up and turns really easy for about 1/10 of a steering wheel turn, then I get the same resistance again, and then easy to turn again. It is almost like a pulse of hard, easy, hard, easy. You get the point. It is the same whether I turn left or right. It is annoying as hell and difficult to drive/control.

Does anybody know what the problem could be? Thanks for the help.

Jay
Old 05-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Teching In

I have done searches and haven't really read of anyone describing this exact problem. Suggestions anyone?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Is it the original power steering pump? I'd check the fluid level, try a flush if dirty, and then question the pump itself if no improvement. My power steering pump was making some whining sounds a few months ago, but I didn't notice any resistance - a quick flush cleared up the whining.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks MrEddie. I've already checked the fluid level, it was low and I have already added some. I'm going to change the fluid Saturday morning. I will post results.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If it was really low, its worthwhile to check your coolant dipstick and make sure there isn't any crud on it.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Teching In

I changed the power steering fluid over the weekend via the turkey baster method. I put the front of the car up on jack stands and emptied the reservoir with the turkey baster, then filled it with new fluid. I started the car, turned the wheel to lock both ways and back to center, then repeated everything 3 times. I test drove the car tonight and it is much better, but I can still feel the surging a little bit. I'm guessing that the pump is just weak. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know.

I did check my coolant, and it looks like mud. I guess I will have to flush that. Should I go with green coolant instead of the red stuff? It seems like as the red gets some age on it, it starts to look like muddy water.

Jay
Old 05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98form
I changed the power steering fluid over the weekend via the turkey baster method. I put the front of the car up on jack stands and emptied the reservoir with the turkey baster, then filled it with new fluid. I started the car, turned the wheel to lock both ways and back to center, then repeated everything 3 times. I test drove the car tonight and it is much better, but I can still feel the surging a little bit. I'm guessing that the pump is just weak. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know.

I did check my coolant, and it looks like mud. I guess I will have to flush that. Should I go with green coolant instead of the red stuff? It seems like as the red gets some age on it, it starts to look like muddy water.

Jay
some will disagree with me, but go with the green coolent! that stuff has been out for more then 60 years, i have been using it for a 1 year no problems. the red coolent does not work with our cars, it only works with the pressurized secondary resoirvoir cars. as for the power steering, try using Lucas power steering fluid. that is much better for an older pump since it is much thicker and will help create more pressure in the system!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 98form

Jay
Is it just dirty or do you see any slime clinging to the dipstick? If there is no slime, then its not related to the P/S fluid level.