Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP...Installed new lifters,push-rods, and valve springs...still ticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP...Installed new lifters,push-rods, and valve springs...still ticking

Background:
07 C6 with A6 trans. Running cam(see sig),ported oe heads, and Melrose headers.

Car has about 11,500k miles on it and all the mods have been on for about 8k miles.

A couple weeks ago I had a street tune done which included a couple pretty hard passes close to redline. After the tune the car sat for a couple hours and when I drove it again I noticed a bit of a tick when the revs got above 1300rpm. It's most noticeable between 1300-2300rpm and really gets noticeable right when the trans is about to shift. At rpm's above 2,300 or so the tick is either gone or masked by the exhaust...I can't really tell. I didn't hear the tick during the tuning session...only after the car had sat for awhile afterwards.

Tick details:
The tick is very hard to hear at idle with the hood up or while driving at speed with the windows down. To hear it best the windows need to be up and the engine turning between 1300-2300rpm.

The tick speed varies with the engine rpm ie...as rpms climb so does the speed of the tick. The tick gets a bit louder also.

The tick is there when the motor is cold or hot.

Oil pressure seems good and consistant.

The car still seems to run good other than the ticking.

I took it to the local chevy dealer and they thought it was a lifter.
Took it to a muffler shop and they didn't find any exhaust leaks and they also thought it was internal.

I went to a LSx specialty shop and they agree it was likely a lifter.
So the car is in the shop right now and they pulled the heads and installed new Caddy lifters, Comp hardened pushrods and I had them replace the 918 beehives with Patriot Golds. They got it back together yesterday and when we test drove it last night it was still ticking just like before.

During the tear down the shop found two of the oe pushrods had light scratches on them where they pass through the head and one of the locks was damaged. Pretty consistant with a lifter issue or so we thought.

Only thing we didn't replace were the oe rockers.

No apparent metal on the magnetic oil pan drain plug.

Any ideas what to check next guys?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Sometimes the injectors tick...I doubt that is the tick you hear but you can use a mechanic stethescope to check them and verify...

it sounds like you have checked most other probable causes for the tick
Old 05-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Just got an update from the shop.

They put it on the lift and they think the tick's coming from the front of the motor and not the valve train. They're pulling the timing cover to see if anything is loose, worn, etc in there.

I was told by the previous owner(who had all the mods done) that a new timing set and heavy duty oil pump was installed when he had the cam put in...again this was about 8k miles ago.

Any help/ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken