Sponsored by:

PCM Issue???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PCM Issue???

No response in Internal. Sorry post is so long

Car has lees than 200 miles after H/C, 90/90 swap. The car put down good power but the tuner (great rep) had trouble with the idle I think and told me my 98 PCM was a slow learner and to drive a little bit and it will get better. Fast forward:

Coming home today idling through my Apt. parking lot and blip throttle and car cuts off. Start back up and Check engine light is on, idle is down 200rpm (about 900) and MY FANS ARE ON TOO??? Car has no power and will cut off everytime I touch the gas. I have to push the car into the parking space??? Car will start and idle though. Everything else seems fine as oil pressure is good, no knocks, new noises, etc... I suspect maybe a fuel prob and will check pump pressure tomorrow and have it towed to pull codes if it reads ok but that does not explain the fans so I am thinking something maybe PCM related??

BTW I pulled radiator cap and water was warm but I could leave my finger in it without burning so the fans should not have been commanded on. Also during swap the coolant temp sensor was replaced. My 98 guage has not moved off 180 since and it used to be pretty accurate and move up and down as the temp fluctuated as opposed to the 210* dummy guages on later years. I also thought the CTS sent it's readings to the PCM only and a totally independant circuit operated the temp guage so why the change???

All troubleshooting ideas are greatly appreciated