Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end noises, clunking

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end noises, clunking

I think I have an issue with my 02 z28's rear end. When I am slowing down I get a low clunking noise in the rear end, it sounds like there is a flat tire in the rear end. this also happens when I am turning right with power to the pedal. As you all know how to diagnose a rear end, I first started with the simple stuff.

All the bushings where fine, the shocks and springs were good, brakes and all the bolts in the rear where tight and snug.

My car is suppose to be a posi from what I understand. However, when the car is in the air only one tire spins when you spin it with your hand. THe other tire doesn't even spin at all. This happens no matter what tire I spin. I have no looseness when the parking brakes are on. There is no play in the axles from what I can tell.

As of right now it doesnt appear to be effecting performance. the car still goes like its new. It has 21k on it for miles and I cant see how I trashed the rear. this car has never been raced. I mean I sometimes drive it hard but nothing to insane.

sorry for the long rant but more info is better. any help or suggestions would be great. If there is anything I missed please let me know.

thanks.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Teching In

nothing from nobody? update: driveshaft has no play and everything was just greased and its still doing it.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Launching!

hmmm...maybe axles? im not sure but it dont sound like a ring and pinion prob
Old 05-20-2008, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like your posi unit is TOAST!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by proelky
Sounds like your posi unit is TOAST!
What he said^

I think the other wheel should spin in the opposite direction (stock diff.) Do both tires spin when you do a burnout?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Launching!

the noise you decribed is what happened when mine went out, and you dont have to race for a 10 bolt to go out, they are built ford tough. These rears are hit and miss big time. But you will never know till you open it up
Old 05-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The diff is TOAST!
Old 06-03-2008, 01:42 PM

I had the same thing happen and I was just told this morning by my mechanic, that my rear axles are shot. You may want to check those!
Old 06-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slygy0

My car is suppose to be a posi from what I understand. However, when the car is in the air only one tire spins when you spin it with your hand. THe other tire doesn't even spin at all. This happens no matter what tire I spin. I have no looseness when the parking brakes are on. There is no play in the axles from what I can tell.

thanks.
Might be a dumb question but when you were spinning the wheels in the air was the car in gear?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slygy0
...My car is suppose to be a posi from what I understand. However, when the car is in the air only one tire spins when you spin it with your hand. THe other tire doesn't even spin at all. This happens no matter what tire I spin. I have no looseness when the parking brakes are on. There is no play in the axles from what I can tell.
A Torsen will do this. It's not a clutch-type posi, so one wheel may not spin, or spin in the opposite direction, without any load on the drivetrain.

I know that you have checked it over, but the way you describe the clunking, it sounds like something in the suspension. Is this suspension stock or does it include any rod-ended components? Is this an auto or manual?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Teching In

the car is a stick, stock rear and suspension. Both tires bake when you slam the gas but with the car off the ground and in the air and in gear only one moves. The noise is getting worse, especialy while taking a right handed turn. THe drivetrain is still under warranty so I think I'm just gonna have to bring it in. it just means im without it for a day.

Its odd because the car doesn't feel like its hurting the performance at all. I wonder if the dealer will put a 12 bolt in for me. lol. I am starting to think the posi is frying. Thank god its under warranty.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

nothing like a diff tooth breaking off, locking diff and puttin a **** ton of torque on your drivetrain neighbors 02 ws6 was damn near that point before he replaced gears
Old 06-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Teching In

for those of you who were keeping track, finally got it to the dealer today. The car has got a broken pinion and because of the vibrations the bearings and seals all need to be redone as well. The tech said he didnt trust the axle on the right side so I am getting a new axle as well.

And no they said they would not put a 12 bolt in for me with my warranty. Hey I tried. Thank god for the warranty thought.

Thanks for the help.