Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

paint scratch repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default paint scratch repairs?

sorry this has nothing to do with f bodys but my sister is looking into selling her car but there are a few scratches here and there that i am going to touch up before she sells it. what are some good brands of scratch remover and what can be done to scratches that arent just the paint scratched off but have paint from another car scratched in? its a red car and a few of the scratched are of white paint, these are the ones im most worried about and need to know how to repair without taking it to a body shop.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

also, would i have to clay bar the car at all?
Old 05-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wet sand and buff
Old 05-16-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

take paint thinnger where the other cars color is and that will take it right off. as for the scratches try to buff it first if they dont come out wetsand lightly if its factory clear it will be easy to go through. for touch up paint i have the advantage of working at a shop, but you should see if a paint supplier or a shop can match the color for you so your touch up wont look like ****.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

alright, yea from what ive found out im supposed to try to buff it out, if that doesnt work to try rubbing compound and that should take it out. then the little scratch repairing rub, like quixx.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

It depends on the scratches really, how deep they are, are they just surface scratches or swirl marks or are they deeper, if they go all the way through the clear it will need paint. For light scratches and swirls I usually use 3M swirl remover on a wool pad followed by a foam pad and then their hand glaze. Yes rubbing compound and some polish with a lot of elbow grease should take care of the other paint, if not you can clay bar the white paint off. Just make sure to polish it after clay baring and that you seal it all up when your done with some wax or sealer. If the scratches are heavier (your finger nail catches them when you drag it across) Then they may need paint or you could try to very carefully wet sand them, if so you want to keep everything very wet and using 2000 grit on a soft sanding block go very slow as not to burn all the way through the clear. Just remember to stay away from the edges (paint is real thin here) and then follow up the wet sanding with polishing and some wax or sealer
Old 05-17-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah im most worried about getting the other paint off, i didnt think the claybar would get it off. but good to know that i may not even need to rubbing compound thanks!

Quick Reply: paint scratch repairs?