Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cam, But No Dowl Pin Included. What To Do? Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Cam, But No Dowl Pin Included. What To Do? Help Please

Just got new Comp cam and it didnt come with a dowl pin in the end of it. Do I have to have it in there or can I use a wooden dowl to line up the cam gear with the cam and then remove it? Is it necessary to have the dowl pin in the cam at all times?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to have the dowel pin in there. It's really odd and a little disturbing that it came without one. You can use the dowel from your stock cam. Just twist it out with a pair of vise grips and make sure it fits snug in the new cam. If it is loose, which is a good possibility being that it is missing, put some locktite sleeve and cylinder lock to hold it in. If it is loose and you are not comfortable with the locktite I would call Comp and talk to them about it.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Send it back. There seems to be a lot of this going around, Comp's quality control is lacking. I got one the same way and sent it back. The dowel is a press fit case hardened pin. I personally wouldn't remove it from the stock cam for that reason.

And it you call Comp, they will tell you to remove from the stock cam, but they are also idiots.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying I am an idiot?
Old 05-17-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
Are you saying I am an idiot?
No, my point is the manufacturer shouldn't be recommending something to a customer who doesn't understand the risks involved. For the cost of these components, the quality control should be excellent. If everyone tries to work around them, Comp will just continue to pump out crap. If the dowel comes out and goes into the timing chain lower sprocket, that would present a problem and the OP would be struggling to figure out why he had a timing chain failure.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Mine came with no dowel too. not a big deal go to the hardware store and buy a 1/4 dia dowel. I just took one from work being that i work at a tool and die shop. but a 1/4 by 1 inch long will work

then just start it as straight as possible and tap it in with a hammer
Old 05-17-2008, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Default dowel

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Send it back. There seems to be a lot of this going around, Comp's quality control is lacking. I got one the same way and sent it back. The dowel is a press fit case hardened pin. I personally wouldn't remove it from the stock cam for that reason.

And it you call Comp, they will tell you to remove from the stock cam, but they are also idiots.
they are case hard and there is no reason you can not reuse them. but the press is fairly tight you would play hell getting it out.

just spend the dollar or less a new one cost
Old 05-17-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guess that's my point, likely damage the case hardening on removal.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion is that the new cam should come with a new dowel pin. It should not the the customers responsibility to provide a dowel pin. I would send it back.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Default dowel

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Guess that's my point, likely damage the case hardening on removal.
my point was case hardening is a process that hardens aprox .030 deep of the out side surface. you can't really hurt it. it is prob a rockwell of 56-58 to 58-60 unless it gall's up from being pounded into say a .001 or tighter press it will not be damaged.

It is a heat treat process.The only way you can change it is with heat.like getting it red hot and letting it cool slow.the **** is so hard you can not drill it or get through it with out useing a carbide cutter .

still spend the less than a dollar and buy a new one
Old 05-17-2008, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Default dowel

Originally Posted by Lt1Porsche
My opinion is that the new cam should come with a new dowel pin. It should not the the customers responsibility to provide a dowel pin. I would send it back.
yeah i agree but my last cam came with out one so did the one before that. makes no sense to me comp is doing this.

Also they give no direction's on how to obtain one or install it. seem's strange

and comp is one of the main or prob #1 cam grinder's
Old 05-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

I called Comp and the tech guy told me that it was purely for alignment and that I could take something that would fit the hole to align the cam gear with the cam and remove it once aligned, he said the 3 bolts is what does the holding of the cam gear not the dowel. So I had an allen wrench that fit it pretty well and used it to align the cam gear with them cam and then degreed it using the centerline method and it degreed right on. Thanks for all the good answers.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Launching!

I was in the same situation but purchased from TR. They sent a new pin and I had it installed by the machine shop.

I wouldn't go without one, the alignment the dowel pin provides is critical, too much slop without it. And if the cam is sliding around, you can bet that you will lose a few degrees timing and possibly back out the bolts.

I guess it just goes to how much torque you can put on it. And if you know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. And red loctite would be advised as well.......

Get a roll pin??? Might have a better chance to fall out though. Cam spins to 1/2 RPM.

Quick Reply: New Cam, But No Dowl Pin Included. What To Do? Help Please