Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to mount nitrous gauge sender?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Where to mount nitrous gauge sender?

Just received an Auto Meter Electric Pressure Gauge. Should I mount it on the bottle or the nitrous solenoid? The instructions should both places.
My bottle is in the trunk area. The wiring might not be long enough to mount it there. If I mount it on the solenoid can I keep the gauge on the bottle?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-17-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

No one have this problem....

Last edited by Bill Bowling; 05-17-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having more than one bottle, I choose to mount it on the Mainline right off the bottle nut.

Be sure that the Autometer sending unit gets 5V and not 12 V to it, else you will need a new Sending unit
Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
Having more than one bottle, I choose to mount it on the Mainline right off the bottle nut.

Be sure that the Autometer sending unit gets 5V and not 12 V to it, else you will need a new Sending unit
The instructions say 12 volt but I know I used 5v on my fuel pressure sender. What is the deal? This is the first gauge I have installed. The gauge is a Autometer C2.
http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/527.pdf

Where is the best place to get 5v? DOes the fuse panel inside have 5v?

Thanks Beer. You helped me on my fuel pressure sender using EFILive. Thanks for all thr help you give us rookies.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Bowling; 05-17-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
The instructions say 12 volt but I know I used 5v on my fuel pressure sender. What is the deal? This is the first gauge I have installed. The gauge is a Autometer C2.
http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/527.pdf

Where is the best place to get 5v? DOes the fuse panel inside have 5v?

Thanks Beer. You helped me on my fuel pressure sender using EFILive. Thanks for all thr help you give us rookies.

Bill
If your using it through the gauge, I believe the gauge steps the voltage down to 5v to the sending unit. I am just using the sending unit, no gauge. You should be OK using the schemetic you showed for the gauge application and the harness that came with the gauge kit.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:40 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i prefer a gauge on the valve, not after the valve, so you can monitor pressure with a closed valve if the bottle is not hooked up.
i also ran my electric gauge right before the solenoid to monitor pressure inside.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TJ
i prefer a gauge on the valve, not after the valve, so you can monitor pressure with a closed valve if the bottle is not hooked up.
i also ran my electric gauge right before the solenoid to monitor pressure inside.
Thanks for the info. I have a purge solenoid so I should place the sender before the purge??

Where did you mount your gauge?

Bill
Old 05-18-2008, 11:09 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

it needs to go before the purge.
i had a C2 gauge in the passenger side center vent, but i just bought a dynotune rectangle digital one to take its place. havent got my new setup completed yet.
its very easy to read, though it doesnt look it in the pic. i just dont like my interior cluttered with gauges.
Attached Thumbnails Where to mount nitrous gauge sender?-mar04-18.jpg  
Old 05-18-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TJ
it needs to go before the purge.
i had a C2 gauge in the passenger side center vent, but i just bought a dynotune rectangle digital one to take its place. havent got my new setup completed yet.
its very easy to read, though it doesnt look it in the pic. i just dont like my interior cluttered with gauges.
How did you get the gauge in the vent? How does the vent come out? Did you have to make a special bracket?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-18-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's the thing on having it at the bottle. Hell what bottle does not already have a gauge? Having another item hanging off the bottle junks the look up, IMO, just take a peak at the bottle mounts in the vette pic thread and see what you like in the looks dept. So for me, my NOS (and the reason I like these bottles) bottles have the gauge on top where we can see it, and my bottles are on display, the sending unit location was a no brainer and was mounted at the end of my n2o line in the engine compartment, mucho cleaner. Now, when I want to check pressure, I can look in through the back glass, and/or look at my gauge when in the pilots chair, all bases covered with bottle open or closed. If your bottle is hidden, then disregard all of the above, lol.
Robert
Old 05-18-2008, 12:46 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
How did you get the gauge in the vent? How does the vent come out? Did you have to make a special bracket?

Thanks,
Bill
i thought i had assembly pics, but i do not.
for starters, i have no a/c in the car, but i dont see why you couldnt drill a hole in the vent to get the wires to pass through.
its actually mounted on the radio trim plate. pop it out and youll see some heavy plastic on the back, which goes into the a/c ductwork. believe it or not, its actually mounted in with a real autometer gauge holder. just the standard single bracket deal. if you have a/c, you might want to epoxy the guage holder to the radio trim plate. the screws might get in the way when sliding into the a/c ductwork. mine is all gone, so it wasnt an issue.
ive since got rid of a c2 gauge and picked up the dynotune digital one i mentioned. its a lil smaller, and for some reason mine was never accurate(autometer). im going to mount this one in the same location.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TJ
i thought i had assembly pics, but i do not.
for starters, i have no a/c in the car, but i dont see why you couldnt drill a hole in the vent to get the wires to pass through.
its actually mounted on the radio trim plate. pop it out and youll see some heavy plastic on the back, which goes into the a/c ductwork. believe it or not, its actually mounted in with a real autometer gauge holder. just the standard single bracket deal. if you have a/c, you might want to epoxy the guage holder to the radio trim plate. the screws might get in the way when sliding into the a/c ductwork. mine is all gone, so it wasnt an issue.
ive since got rid of a c2 gauge and picked up the dynotune digital one i mentioned. its a lil smaller, and for some reason mine was never accurate(autometer). im going to mount this one in the same location.
I just tried that location but the guage does not fit right. OK now I am just going to mount below the main gauges. I made a special bracket. Where did you pick up the Dash 12V? I have it all ready except for the Dash 12V.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-18-2008, 04:59 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

there should be a couple of ports in the fuse box labeled IGN. you can pull from there.
if you want to do it rather quickly, you can tie into most pink wires with a black stripe. all those are going to be 12v switched.
i should have mentioned it was a 2 1//16 gauge. no way the 5/8 is gonna fit.
post up some pics when your done. i always like seeing creative stuff.
good luck.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

I got it installed and it works. The blue light is cool looking.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Where to mount nitrous gauge sender?-dcp_6345.jpg   Where to mount nitrous gauge sender?-dcp_6349.jpg   Where to mount nitrous gauge sender?-dcp_6351.jpg  

Last edited by Bill Bowling; 05-18-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Nicely Done!
Old 05-18-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks. I added a third picture. Now I can make sure that pressure is up before hitting it. What do you think the min pressure should be?

Bill
Old 05-18-2008, 10:29 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

id have pressure somewhere between 900-1050. all depends on the kit, what jet and flowing fuel pressure, etc....
Old 05-19-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TJ
id have pressure somewhere between 900-1050. all depends on the kit, what jet and flowing fuel pressure, etc....
I am running a HSW Plate system at 150hp. Fuel Pressure is running close to 60.

Thanks,
Bill

Quick Reply: Where to mount nitrous gauge sender?