Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Please Help Carb Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 02:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Carb Problems!!!

Ok sooooo......
one of my power vales went bad in my 850 holley took it apart repleaced it when we put it back on a buddy of mine was tightining it back down and never tightened the fuel line sooooo gas leaked, it was night doin this work under a street light so no one saw it after runnin for a few sec BOOM FIRE EVERYWHERE!!!! Ran got the hose after about 30 sec finally got it all out car ran fine took it home last night. Today relized alternator wire was bad along with others replaced all of them today plus yet another power valve(have a block off on the other) on just in case went to start it started right up!!! went for a drive and.....
Spark plug wire is TOSTED!!! ****!!!!!
not a big deal right???
si went for a drive and it sounds like is runnin rich as hell so...
come back pull the damn thing off change from 76 jets to 74's put it back on the thing wont run!! can get it to turn over after crankin it for 10 sec finally starts but as soon as i let off half throttle it dies. Like its FLOODED!
so i pull it off....again....and one of the floats is jacked its all...loosy goosey so a take it off get the thing workin again out it back on and same thing....
PLEASE HELP ME and either tell me what might be wrong of point me in the right direction of what to check
been workin on this thing alllllllll dayyyyyy sorry if i sound a little frusted but I am....
Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seriously, I'd take it to someone that has alot of experiance w/ carbs in your area. Just a word to the wise, dont work on something when your pissed off at it. thats when alot of bad **** can go wrong. (PS - I'm not saying that you cant build the carb, just get some new eyes on it. Never hurts)

Doc
Old 05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Banned

You should get a remote starter switch or have someone turn the key while your watching inside the carb(NOT WITH YOUR FACE DIRECTLY OVER THE CARB).
Sounds to me like you're going to see fuel dripping from the boosters. Can be caused by a bad power valve or gasket, needle and seat bad- not adjusted right- o-ring torn.
Too much fuel pressure.
Sometimes if it floods real bad it can foul the spark plugs and it'll not run or run like crap.