Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

msd 6010 timing graphs

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default msd 6010 timing graphs

as i am getting more fam. with using my laptop(that was a challenge) i feel i am getting closer on a tuneup, just the map thing is throwing me off
my engine wants a lot of timing off idle, my guess is because of the edelbrock single plane intake-i had to put a pretty aggres. pump cam in just to get a clean off idle rev, then cure the last stumble with the higher timing
with the procharger, i know i will dump some timing, also can use the retard for that, but seems i could use the timing graph to back down the timing for higher rpms(to many choices, lol)
i would like to see some graphs if possible, to give me some ideas of what you are using
Old 05-18-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
as i am getting more fam. with using my laptop(that was a challenge) i feel i am getting closer on a tuneup, just the map thing is throwing me off
my engine wants a lot of timing off idle, my guess is because of the edelbrock single plane intake-i had to put a pretty aggres. pump cam in just to get a clean off idle rev, then cure the last stumble with the higher timing
with the procharger, i know i will dump some timing, also can use the retard for that, but seems i could use the timing graph to back down the timing for higher rpms(to many choices, lol)
i would like to see some graphs if possible, to give me some ideas of what you are using
You need to back down the timing based on the manifold pressure. The timing retard switch is for nitrous so when the nitrous is activated it pulls a set number of degrees out. You really don't have that many choices if you want to do it right.

Andrew
Old 05-19-2008, 06:23 AM
TECH Veteran

with the engine running, and looking at the 3 dials on the laptop, is the one on the far right (map) the psi that it is seeing? it seems to be lower than what i read with a vacume gauge
Old 05-19-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
with the engine running, and looking at the 3 dials on the laptop, is the one on the far right (map) the psi that it is seeing? it seems to be lower than what i read with a vacume gauge
Yes, that is the vacuum gauge. And mine does the same thing. I read about 8 on the MSD and 15 on my mechanical. The only benifit I have is that mine is track only so I don't use the vacuum advance.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

the msd measures vacuum in "absolute psi" ,, with the msd around 14 psi is = to 0 vacuum on your vacuum gauge,, above 14psi is boost , less than 14 is vacuum

do some reading on absolute psi and it will all be clear as to how the vacuum system actually works
Old 05-19-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

while eating a Mcdonalds burger, it might have come to me, lol
they keep talking about manifold pres., but it really is vacume-manifold pres is present when the motor is off, or in a non vac state, like wot-the pres is the ever present atmospheric 14.something-so the map starts off with 14, subtract the engine vac, and that would be your manifold pres? in a blown state, wot (loss of vac) would be 14 + the boost amount?(needing a 2 or 3 bar sensor)
so in order to set my map timing, i could read the dial with the engine running, which is the pres its seeing, and relate that to the map graph-i think i got confused with the psi on the graph, thinking it was vac
am i thinking right now, sure makes my head hurt
Old 05-19-2008, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

correct it is confusing at first,, around 14psi is = to 0 vacuum or atmospheric pressure, anything above 14 psi is considered boost, below 14 psi is considered vacuum, lower psi = higher vacuum

so 15 psi is the same thing as 1 pound of boost on your boost gauge

Quick Reply: msd 6010 timing graphs