General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C ticking??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C ticking??

What causes the A/C to start making a ticking sound when its on?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Banned

Constant ticking or on and off?
If it's steady it could be the compressor, belt, or one of the pulleys.
Easiest thing would be to spray some light oil on the inner and outer belt surface, if it goes away for a little while it's nothing serious.
If it doesn't go away you could get under the car, remove the belt and spin everything seperate to see if anything makes noise. And wiggle everything to see if anything is loose.
You might repack the bearings, theres a write up on that a few pages back, I did it but it didn't make a difference.
I had a squeaking noise, even with a new belt. I ended up getting a goodyear gatorback belt, now it's quiet.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Launching!

If you can hear the ticking in the car, it might be the blower motor. I had mine replaced and the noise is gone. Mine made the ticking noise when the a/c and the heat was on if that makes a difference.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car has the same thing going on. it starts out as a squeak and it turns into a click as i drive some... im pretty sure the bearings in the compressor are bad or one of the two ac pulleys are bad
Old 05-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002ssls1
If you can hear the ticking in the car, it might be the blower motor. I had mine replaced and the noise is gone. Mine made the ticking noise when the a/c and the heat was on if that makes a difference.
I had that too when I first got the car. I pulled the blower/motor assembly out and vacuumed all the leaves out of the blower wheel and ac box.

Also had paper, like gas reciepts, get sucked in there and cause the same noise.