Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Cam Retainer Bolt Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stripped Cam Retainer Bolt Advice Please

Well I stripped out the center top bolt on the retainer plate and I was only torqueing to the factory spec of 18ft/lbs! When I packed it out a curly cue of threads came with it. I added a little loctite and tried threading it back in. The bolt Seemed to tighten a little just towards the end, but just a little so I let it go and installed the cam gear torqued to 26ft/lbs and put in time, no problem.
Being I got the other 3 bolts tighten down to spec, do you guys think I'll have problem?
I'm having some second thoughts now and am wondering if I should take the cam gear back off and try to helicoil that top hole or let it go?

There is 2 other threads on here where this has happened and that bolt is said to be : M8 1.25 pitch about 20mm long. Does this cound correct?

Thanks ahead for your input!
Geno
Old 05-18-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe that hole is a blind hole. Pull it apart and install a heli-coil. I wouldn't depend on two threads. Loctite, is an anaerobic material and depends on the tight fit between the bolt threads and the threads in the block, its not a glue. If it backs out it could wreak havoc and destroy a lot of parts. Not worth the rick in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Stripped Cam Retainer Bolt Advice Please