Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PROBLEM!! Symptoms R..

Old 05-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEM!! Symptoms R..

This weekend we replaced my headers and y-pipe with Pacesetter LT's and an off road y-pipe. Now it runs like absolute ****. It has an irregular idle and the response is really delayed. It runs rich as ****. Drove it to Autozone and it threw codes for the TPS and MAP (sensor??). I'm ******* clueless. Everything ran fine before we began, so what could it be?? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

get it tuned and it'll be fine. Mine had 20 codes in it after i put headers and an off road y on it
Old 05-18-2008, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Played with some wires on the top end of the car?

Didnt hook your 02's back up?
Old 05-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Launching!

We didn't play with any wires on top of the car...BUT WE DID NOT plug O2 simulators into the rear two o2 sensors...Don't the rear 2 O2 sensors just tell if the cats are working??? I mean, would that cause it to idle erradically (sp?)?
Old 05-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2000NavyZ
get it tuned and it'll be fine. Mine had 20 codes in it after i put headers and an off road y on it
I want to...but that's like almost $500 after you pay dyno time...
Old 05-18-2008, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

It may not be running as rich as you think. The cats took alot of the gas smell out of the exhaust, removing them makes the exhaust smell much worse than it used to. Headers will make your car run lean if anything.

The issue you are having with your idle may be short lived also. If you removed your battery like you should have the computer will need to relearn its idle pattern and it takes several cycles to do so with each one getting progressively better until it's back to normal.

The rear O2's do nothing but trigger a light, you don't need to worry about them at all unless you need to pass inspection or just don't like the light on. I would double check that you have all the connectors plugged in properly and leave it be for a while and see how it does. You do not NEED a tune for headers, but it will gain you power and is recommended. The stock tune can compensate very well for headers, but it will take some time for your fuel trims to adjust to keep you from leaning out at WOT. Stay away from WOT for a few fillups to let things line up.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Launching!

It can't be the 02 simulator...b/c according to what I'm reading they have NOTHING to do with engine management... "OBDII cars have two oxygen sensors to measure the amount of oxygen contained in the exhaust gas. The first sensor is located on the manifold or header and measures O2 content of the exhaust as it escapes from the cylinders. This sensor is used by the PCM to calculate fuel trims and look for combustion problems. The second oxygen sensor is located after the catalytic converter and is used only to detect the performance of the converter. The PCM does NOT use any data from the secondary O2 sensor for engine management. The PCM will set an SES (service engine soon) light (for DTC's P0140, P0141 and/or P0420) if the catalytic converter is removed, the sensor is removed, or the sensor goes bad."
Old 05-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Thorny
It may not be running as rich as you think. The cats took alot of the gas smell out of the exhaust, removing them makes the exhaust smell much worse than it used to. Headers will make your car run lean if anything.

The issue you are having with your idle may be short lived also. If you removed your battery like you should have the computer will need to relearn its idle pattern and it takes several cycles to do so with each one getting progressively better until it's back to normal.

The rear O2's do nothing but trigger a light, you don't need to worry about them at all unless you need to pass inspection or just don't like the light on. I would double check that you have all the connectors plugged in properly and leave it be for a while and see how it does. You do not NEED a tune for headers, but it will gain you power and is recommended. The stock tune can compensate very well for headers, but it will take some time for your fuel trims to adjust to keep you from leaning out at WOT. Stay away from WOT for a few fillups to let things line up.
How does this explain the TPS and MAP (MAP or Mass air, I can't remember) codes that autozone said it threw?
Old 05-18-2008, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by squale iii
How does this explain the TPS and MAP (MAP or Mass air, I can't remember) codes that autozone said it threw?
It doesn't, that's why I suggest double checking all the connectors for them. Did you take your intake or TB off for the install? If its the mass air and TPS I would think they didn't get plugged in properly since they are right there together and were probably removed.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Neither were removed/unplugged during the installation...what's the chances of them both failing simultaneously after an install??? Very slim, right? I dunno, I mean I replugged all that **** back in so I dunno what to do..
Old 05-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Fixed! EGR piece that bolts to the top of the intake...the piece the bolt goes into was not all the way down, loose i guess?? So the gap created a vaccuum or w/e and the rubber piece was half off of the EGR tube....thus creating the biggest leak ever!

Search this Thread