Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My QA1 pee'd on me :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My QA1 pee'd on me :(

I was screwing with my rear single adjustable QA1 for my camaro and I pulled it out of the box and was turning it up to max so I can go back and count the clicks to full loose and see how loose it felt and if I could pull the shaft out by hand. Well the clicks were not very easy to feel and didnt really fel right, and I dont know if I loosened it up too much or what but it started leaking in my hand pretty good. I tried screwing it in and it felt really weird, like it wasnt clicking through the steps and kinda getting tight then slipping. If I tried unscrewing it anymore it just leaked again pretty good. I got it to stop leaking but I lost a tablespoon of oil or so probably. Is there a way to fix these? I bought these new from speed inc about 2 years ago for my LT1 and they have just been sitting in my room in th e box till now. I hope I dont have to buy a new one.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get them rebuilt, though its still pretty pricey
Old 05-18-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

I'm still wondering what happened, I was just adjusting them and they felt funny and started leaking all over. I didnt go crazy tightening em at all, and was going back slowly and also dont think I went to far? Maybe I did, but I really dont think so. It honestly never felt right the clicks were not noticable like they should have been and these have been in the box since I bought them.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

i would have them checked by a certified qa1 rebuilder. my brother had his rebuilt for $70, had to send them off, i dont remember where.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

I had to send mine in for a rebuild because they were leaking...found out both shaft were bent and other stuff wrong as well, ended up costing me $173.00 with shipping for both...also found out that one or both had been rebuilt before...strange part is I bought them brand new....go figure. QA1 can tell you where to send them in your area... good luck with it.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Here's where I sent mine for rebuild.
http://www.naake.com/qa1shockservice.html