Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Always wanted, now own

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Always wanted, now own

Always wanted a Firebird, so I got the next most practical thing, a Grand Prix GTP....

Tweaked that a little to bring it into the high 13's with relatively little cost, any lower than that and you start to loose the reliability that I need with my daily driver.

So I started looking around for alternatives and a fast white 98 Formula coupe was up for sale. Had always wanted one, love going to the shows and seeing them, old and new.

The vehicle seen in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-sale-lsx-powered-only/906586-fs-1998-formula-firebird-6000-a.html

Is now mine

The path I suppose I should go is rear-end>heads/cam>spray It seems to be a popular formula for success. Key is to not go farther than you can afford to fix so until this season is over I'll probably just get tires and a rear-end.

This is my first time driving a RWD performance car. I'm gonna ease into it, key is not getting over confident. I've driven some posi-pick-ups and a small dump in the winter...

This however from a standstill will feel like your floating on a cloud getting up to speed (when you spin the rears a bit) when you really step on it. I gotta love when you brake torque how it really feels like your holding something back. Its that same feeling a truck has in the winter....just not catapulting to 60mph

400lbs (conservatively) lighter than the Grand Prix, and over a 100 more horses at the wheels just brings a smile to my face.

I might not be active on this forum to begin with as I'll act as a sponge and absorb information before chiming in on things I have no clue about
Old 05-18-2008, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Nice man, welcome to ls1tech, there's a ton of good info on here...
Good luck with the car and when the mod bug bites, watch out!!!

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 05-18-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice purchase. Replacing the rear and getting some tires are probably the most sensible mods you can do to start off your modding if you have the money for a good 12-bolt or 9-inch.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice car!
Old 05-19-2008, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Good looking Formula
Old 06-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the welcomes.

Finally got it insured/regsitered this last week thursday, and must say I love it.

I've put almost 90 miles on it since Thursday 40 miles of work commuting take half and then using it for whatever else I can think off. (but I'd be lieing to say I didn't floor it a few times to "see what happens lol)

Mainly am just learning all its ins and outs, noise and quirks. That way after a track session or some beating I can pick out a problem

With its exhaust...or lack thereof, it puts a smile on my face and most of the people around me, haven't really had many dirty looks. A few people seem to think that its ok to pick up speed when a sporty car puts it turn signal on, but a quick blip of the throttle solves that issue and keeps me in a good mood. Kinda like a bigger dog barking at the smaller dog.

The headers>X-Pipe>turn down setup likes to scrape the turndowns so maybe sending the pipes right out the side is the answer for a bit more clearance but its not to high on the priority list.

I've gotten the following qoutes from the guys at work:
"its got a nice growl to it"
"When it starts it sounds like a bomb going off"

I haven't really done much radio listening, has a good sound track on its own.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

welcome, nice formula