Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS3 or MS4? Which are best heads? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MS3 or MS4? Which are best heads? Help!

Hey,

Im planning on doing a heads & cam setup on my '02 LS1 that ive transplanted into my '89 iroc-z.

Here's my plan:
440+ Rwhp
Driveable (Could drive it to school/work everyday without too many issues, take it for cruises, and whatnot. The car would rarely see stop & go traffic)
Fire up everymorning and no give me greif
Have an awesome idle to terrify tuner kids

Here's my setup:
Stainless works longtube headers
LS6 Intake
LS2 Timing chain
Stock shortblock
4L60e
Aluminum driveshaft
Richmond 3.73 geared LS1 rear diff

Ive been looking into the MS3 Cam & the 5.3L Stage 2.5 heads. ive read on LS1tech people are making about 450ish rwhp with this setup. Ive been thinking that's what id go with, but then ive had some second thoughts and thought maybe the MS4 cam would be best for me, and then pick up the Stage 1 LS6 heads? Id also need your hardened pushrod's & gasket kit.

Whats your opinion on the cam? Would the MS4 work ok in my setup, and give me the advantage of some extra cam? Would the stage 1 LS6 heads with the PRC Spring kit be enough heads to bump me past 460rwhp with the MS4 Cam?

Also, which LCA would be best for me if the car would see about 40 miles of driving per week, but then a fair bit of strip time. I would want the car to idle rough, but be tame enough that it wont stall out at every stop light.

I would keep the heads un-milled, and would be willing to flycut the pistons a bit if needed. Would a FAST LSX intake benefit me alot with the cam & heads?

All help greatly appreciated.

Sheldon
Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are set on going with a ms3 or ms4 a Fast intake would for sure help get you to the numbers you want . Though you may not need that big of cam if upgrading the heads nor flycut for that matter . You may want to mill just a bit and use a smaller gasket for a better quench . Download the dcr /scr spreedsheet if you have not yet . It lets you check different combinations and you can guesstimate on the power .

Last edited by snake charmer; 05-19-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2008, 03:25 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go wityh the MS3 and Stage 2.5 5.3L heads. With that combo you will not need to flycut the pistons, and the slight boost in compression from those heads will make for better driveability and throttle response with that camshaft! The combo with the heads (assembled with dual spring kit and titanium retainers), hardened pushrods, and the camshaft is on special for $1650 currently!!

Let me know if I can help with your combo!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the combo Matt is speaking of and I couldn't be happier
Old 05-19-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Matt, sent you a PM.

I mentioned to matt in my PM to him, that my dad bought a set of LS6 Stage 1 heads from TSP a couple months back. He planned on putting them onto his engine, but he thinks he will go 6.0L with his build.

I was offered them for $1000. Those heads + a MS4 cam, i would think would be a bit above MS3 + 5.3?

Im definately sticking brand loyal here. Only part i wont buy from TSP will be my LS2 timing chain cause i bought that from the Chev dealer up the road from me. Heads, Cam, pushrods etc im going to be ordering it all from TSP. They were very good to my dad when he dealt with his credit we bought from someone else. Im very impressed with them and im definately bringing them my buisness.

Sheldon
Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Im going with the MS3/5.3s pretty soon and think i should be well above 420RWHP. With the MS4 i heard that you have to spin the RPM's much higher to get it potential and also the FAST 90/90 would greatly help both setups. Also with MS4 aggressive's lobes you will be changing valve springs more often.

But really, both setups should make a decent amount of power. I just cant wait!!
Old 06-20-2008, 05:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by snake charmer
If you are set on going with a ms3 or ms4 a Fast intake would for sure help get you to the numbers you want . Though you may not need that big of cam if upgrading the heads nor flycut for that matter . You may want to mill just a bit and use a smaller gasket for a better quench . Download the dcr /scr spreedsheet if you have not yet . It lets you check different combinations and you can guesstimate on the power .
Where can you download this spreadsheet at?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ms3 would be better for ya, as long as you have the mods to get the best outta your h/c combo,longtubes,intake,etc. I don't know if you got gears yet or are planning on going with 3.73,but if you haven't bought them yet get 4.10s,my buddy put 4.10s with the ms3and was running , those will keep ya more in the higher rpms which that cam will love a whole lot.and if you are doing heads to you almost have to do a fast setup a ls6 will work,but i would go with the fast, hope your build goes well should be a pretty fast iroc, God bless
Old 09-15-2010, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by SheldonZ28
Matt, sent you a PM.

I mentioned to matt in my PM to him, that my dad bought a set of LS6 Stage 1 heads from TSP a couple months back. He planned on putting them onto his engine, but he thinks he will go 6.0L with his build.

I was offered them for $1000. Those heads + a MS4 cam, i would think would be a bit above MS3 + 5.3?

Im definately sticking brand loyal here. Only part i wont buy from TSP will be my LS2 timing chain cause i bought that from the Chev dealer up the road from me. Heads, Cam, pushrods etc im going to be ordering it all from TSP. They were very good to my dad when he dealt with his credit we bought from someone else. Im very impressed with them and im definately bringing them my buisness.

Sheldon
The Stage 1 LS6's have to be setup for the MS4 to work without flycutting (the best of the cores, very minimal milling, specific valve job, etc). Do you know if your Dad had them setup for the Magic Stick??

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 09-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Launching!

i notice your running an auto trans. correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure your gonna need a higher stall converter to work with the MS3 or MS4 cam??
Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on the stall!! Do it either now or at the same time or u will be very displeased with the setup, u wont be using the power at all. A nice 4000 stall and a set of 4.10s like me and u will be happier than a pig in shizzle!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, I love when people don't pay attention to the original posting date of the thread and just keep going along with the discussion.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
Haha, I love when people don't pay attention to the original posting date of the thread and just keep going along with the discussion.
WOW! I'm usually pretty good about that and missed this one being 2+ years old!

LOL, I had wondered why I didn't have a PM like the thread said!