Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How many decided for ext adj rear Konis vs internal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many decided for ext adj rear Konis vs internal?

Wondering how many wish they had got the externally adjustable Konis or if you got them and have never made a second adjustment. I also realize there is a much broader range of adjustment on the ext adj ones, so maybe they are worth the $100 extra. It would seem quite the pain to adjust the 3gen ones.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

You might end up adjusting them one or twice. I did not see the need to get 4th gens as 3rd gens will adjust on the car by removing 1 nut! Also 3rd gens work better as the 4th gen have a 2mm tolerance before they start to work, but don't quote me on this...
Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Teching In

I'm very happy with my third gen rears. Never felt the others for comparison.

If you aren't looking for the micro adjustments and don't seriously race, you will be pleased with the third gens. After a month, I have not even considered changing the adjustments from what Sam Strano recommended. If you haven't already bought them, I would highly recommend getting them from Sam.

Incidentally, you would be should be able to adjust the third gen rears in under an hour. Probably more like a half hour.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Like has been said by others, spending so much on go fast stuff (ie heads/cam/etc) has put the hurt on how much more I feel like spending. I found the AGX's for $56 shipped, but I hear everyone saying how the Konis are 2nd to none by a long shot. Patience is something I need more of, especially when it comes to this performance buying stuff.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The recommendation for our cars is to put the third gens on full soft and there's really no need to adjust them until they get worn - which would typically be quite a while.

$56 shipped for the AGX's is a great price .... the third gens are at least double ...
Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

^ Word. They're $56 each shipped.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Teching In

I would highly recommend calling Sam. After talking to him and telling myself I would really hate to spend $400 and still not be happy, I went with the Konis.

I did hear that AGX's were more prone to busting and their warranty was...not up to par. Konis have a lifetime warranty, and from what I've read, they stand behind it.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I can't even address the AGX thing.... I don't see how anyone could be selling them, cheap as they are already for $56 each, let alone shipped. I smell a rat. I sell AGX's for $409 a set which is $102.25 on average each (actually $110 front, $94.50 rear each).

What I can address is that you can buy tires in a 275/40-17 ranging in price from around $88 each to just about $300 per tire. Do you think the $88 tire does anything at all like the $296 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup? How about vs. a $175 BFG KDW?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Sam, it's just a baby stepping process for me to convince myself to spend the ducks..... I really just wanted to rule them out. I found them for that at an online site I was referred to by a member here who bought some himself. Do your prices on the Koni rears include shipping? Your analogies are accurate and I get them.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Shipping is about $15 on a set of rear Koni's.

As for the price... I really can't imagine how anyone can sell for that, and a simple look around at other prices I think confirms how out of line those prices are. Maybe they're stolen....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
As for the price... I really can't imagine how anyone can sell for that, and a simple look around at other prices I think confirms how out of line those prices are. Maybe they're stolen....
Very true ... you look at Jegs, Summit, and any number of "performance suspension" dealers, and they're all around $90 and up. One wonders if the $56 shocks are not AGX, but Gas-a-justs or some lesser KYB version.

One thing for sure, at $95 or so for AGX, it's a no brainer to go with Sam's 3rd gen Konis for $114.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

I can only tell you they may have not realized they were selling them for that, but another forum member sent me the link and has them on his car. Probably won't be getting them as I really only want to do this once.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went with the Koni 4/4 setup from Strano, and to me, the extra $100 is worth it....it took me 2 - 3 adjustments to get them to where i like them, and it only took 4 - 5 minutes each time to do it. and i know that if they need to be adjusted again in the future (for whatever reason), it will still only be a 4 - 5 minute job.

and the best part about it is that i can do it without even needing to wash my hands afterwards, much less having to crawl around on the ground under the car, and having to mess around with dirty, grimy parts under there......
Old 05-21-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks again, makes me even poorer.