Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

want new shifter need help picking one

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want new shifter need help picking one

i have a TransAm with a T-56 and i have the stock shifter on i want to buy a new one not really sure which one to go with cause i hear all sorts of info. any ideas guys? i definatly want a short throw

i had i hurst on for a little while and even though it fit on the tranny it hit the cosol side every time i put it in reverse because it didnt have the curve the stock one does
Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Teching In

B&M short throw all the way!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pro 5.0.

You'll hear good and bad reviews on all of them. Best advice is to try to find some people with a few different shifters and check out the feel of them to find what you like best. The fact is it comes down to personal preference. There isn't a "good" or "bad" shifter, just ones you may or may not like the feel of.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Launching!

i've been hearing a lot about the pro 5.0 why are the so good or popular
Old 05-20-2008, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

In my WS6, I had a Pro 5.0 with a UMI Short stick....install was pretty quick(I had help), and with the short stick, it made my throws so short. I loved it, but sometimes it felt like it wasn't in gear all the way, but NEVER had a problem with it.

It feels notchy at first, but I got used to it fairly quick.

A buddy of mine just put a short stick on his car and loved the way it felt. He didnt replace the shifter. He kept the stock shifter **** as well. I believe he is still running the same set up.

But like said before, find someone who has a shifter and ask to take it for a ride, and feel for your self.....Trial and error on this one man....
Old 05-20-2008, 01:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z/28_rice_eater
B&M short throw all the way!
I have the ripper and it is nice. Another vote for B&M
Old 05-20-2008, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a stock hurst. it was great till it the seals in the shifter started to wear and created excess rattle. replaced it with the pro 5.0 and the shifts feels alot firmer
Old 05-20-2008, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

Changing the stick does a lot for the feel of the shifter. A lot of people like the pro 5.0 because of how strong the springs tend to center the shifter ie missing 3rd is a thing of the past. It also shortens the throws significantly and has adjustable stops.

My issue with the Pro 5.0 is that it feels kinda noisy for a shifter. Part of it has to do with the need to modify the boot, the other part is that most aftermarket shifters tend to transfer transmission noise more especially once the rubber isolator stock stick isn't used anymore.

The only issue I had with the B&M is that the one I tried didn't have a swappable stick and from the looks of it, the newer models don't either. Ended up with a Hurst Comp Pro which has selectable springs ie Pro 5.0 stiff or stock feel but no adjustable stops. I suggest trying out various shifters from people you know that have them and go with what you like and can live with.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:32 AM
12 Second Club

Currently enjoying my hurst billet plus.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

The adjustable stops on the Pro 5.0 are nice and the shifts feel very positive to me. You really get a "clink" sound when you hit the shift because of the metal on metal. One issue with the Pro 5.0 is that it is very noisy, but there are rubber gaskets you can get that supposedly help out a lot with that transmission noise soaking through.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

I have a pro 5.0 which i bought from ws6store and used a lous shorstick bough form afterthoughtsauto.com I hear the worst review of this shifter is the noise. I say what noise! THis shifter is awesome. Alot firmer and crispier and shorter shifts. I love it

Last edited by MaroonLS1; 05-20-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MaroonLS1
I have a pro 5.0 which i bought from ws6store and used a lous shorstick bough form aftertought. I hear the worst review of this shifter is the noise. I say what noise! THis shifter is awesome. Alot firmer and crispier and shorter shifts. I love it
how much you get yours for?? the PRO 5.0
Old 05-20-2008, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fotis
how much you get yours for?? the PRO 5.0
179.99 from ws6project.com

The reason why people complain about all the noise is because they actually follow the Pro 5.0 instructions to cut the boot. I say dont. Click on the following link for tips on install

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=12

Quick Reply: want new shifter need help picking one