Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOw much stronger is a wet sleeve vs dry sleeve vs stock block

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOw much stronger is a wet sleeve vs dry sleeve vs stock block

On a ls2 block how much better/ stronger is a wet sleeve vs dry sleeve vs a stock ls2 liners? what the pros/cons of them. Trying to pick how im going to build my engine.

Or should i save little more and buy a warhawk block but have been hearing they have a few issues?

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 05-19-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default sleeves

You did not mention what your application is going to be or how much power you are looking to make.

I can tell you that the Darton Seal Tite dry sleeve has held up well to 950 rwhp in the LS2 block at 4.125" bore.

The MID wet sleeve will take a lot more power but I have no numbers to give you for the LS blocks. The VQ35 Nissan is making 2,200 hp on methanol as is the 5.4 liter Ford. The VQ is running 60 plus pounds of boost during the run and 65 pounds through the lights.

Note that both the VQ and 5.4 aluminum Fords have four bolts per cylinder same as the LS blocks. The VQ is running the Cometic Phusion gasket, that is the gasket is cut out for Garloc seals.

Both the Darton dry and wet liners are 5.800" over all length. The stock liner in the LS2 is 5.450" long. The extra length of the Darton liner provides much improved piston skirt support with stroke lengths of 4 inches and greater.

The ductile iron used in Darton liners is the same material as used by John Force Racing and most of the other fuel teams.

Steve

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
On a ls2 block how much better/ stronger is a wet sleeve vs dry sleeve vs a stock ls2 liners? what the pros/cons of them. Trying to pick how im going to build my engine.

Or should i save little more and buy a warhawk block but have been hearing they have a few issues?
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 05-19-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
You did not mention what your application is going to be or how much power you are looking to make.

I can tell you that the Darton Seal Tite dry sleeve has held up well to 950 rwhp in the LS2 block at 4.125" bore.

The MID wet sleeve will take a lot more power but I have no numbers to give you for the LS blocks. The VQ35 Nissan is making 2,200 hp on methanol as is the 5.4 liter Ford. The VQ is running 60 plus pounds of boost during the run and 65 pounds through the lights.

Note that both the VQ and 5.4 aluminum Fords have four bolts per cylinder same as the LS blocks. The VQ is running the Cometic Phusion gasket, that is the gasket is cut out for Garloc seals.

Both the Darton dry and wet liners are 5.800" over all length. The stock liner in the LS2 is 5.450" long. The extra length of the Darton liner provides much improved piston skirt support with stroke lengths of 4 inches and greater.

The ductile iron used in Darton liners is the same material as used by John Force Racing and most of the other fuel teams.

Steve
Thanks for the info Steve. When you do an LSx application, do you start with a specific seasoned block? I think I remember you like working with the original ls1 block, but can't be sure.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default blocks

I have a Formula 62 vibratory stress relief machine here to stress relieve blocks, heads, whatever. I always stress relieve the castings whether new or used after roughing them out. I then do the finish machine work. Anything going into a race car will get stress relieved once more with the sleeves installed.

I prefer the LS1 block for MID sleeves because it has solid main webs (no windows) unlike the other LS blocks. The LS2 and LS7 blocks however work just fine with the MID or dry sleeve depending on power levels and usage. The water jacket has been raised in these blocks making the structure stronger than in the much weaker LS6 block with bay windows which I do not care to sleeve.

There is one other block similar to the LS1 but stronger yet. This is the LS7 race block which I happen to have one of. This block has solid main webs, no hole drilled for breathing in the webs as in the LS1. Steel caps like on the production LS7. Not many of these blocks were made.

Steve

Originally Posted by Grimes
Thanks for the info Steve. When you do an LSx application, do you start with a specific seasoned block? I think I remember you like working with the original ls1 block, but can't be sure.
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 05-20-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
I have a Formula 62 vibratory stress relief machine here to stress relieve blocks, heads, whatever. I always stress relieve the castings whether new or used after roughing them out. I then do the finish machine work. Anything going into a race car will get stress relieved once more with the sleeves installed.

I prefer the LS1 block for MID sleeves because it has solid main webs (no windows) unlike the other LS blocks. The LS2 and LS7 blocks however work just fine with the MID or dry sleeve depending on power levels and usage. The water jacket has been raised in these blocks making the structure stronger than in the much weaker LS6 block with bay windows which I do not care to sleeve.

There is one other block similar to the LS1 but stronger yet. This is the LS7 race block which I happen to have one of. This block has solid main webs, no hole drilled for breathing in the webs as in the LS1. Steel caps like on the production LS7. Not many of these blocks were made.

Steve
Ah, thanks for writing all of that out. When I have the cash, I know who to call
Old 05-20-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to get 1000 rwhp with a prochager F1C in a 370/402/427. thinking of doing The 402 just sleeving it for strength. would rather do a smaller CI build. Car will see alot of highway miles and just playing around town.

Quick Reply: HOw much stronger is a wet sleeve vs dry sleeve vs stock block