General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anyone had or is having a problem with their front turn signals working sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had or is having a problem with their front turn signals working sometimes?

Ok I have a 99 bird and the running lights work but not the turns, however the turns in the back work, I did buy a new turn signal socket from gm, It appears that the previous owner did screw with them because I saw a new set was spliced in there, Whats the cure? replacing both with new sockets? they look partially melted.oh btw when I get under their and jiggle them I can get then turns to work but they wont stay working. Loose connection?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

I'm actually having a similar problem. When I unlock my car the both front turn signals flash once. But when I try to turn my turn signals when driving, they passenger side won't work. Also the passenger side running light doesn't work. I am probably going to change the bulb this week. If I find out anything, I'll post up.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

I just replaced mine, they melted.

I think this is a common problem in f-bodies.

I went to the bone yard and pulled some of a 95, they seem better than my 98's. I think they are made out of a different plastic.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There are two filaments in the bulbs. One for the parking lights and one for the turn signals. In addition to the flasher, the turn signal filament is controlled by the electronics in the DRL module.

If you test the signals coming down the wires at the socket, it should tell you if the sockets or the DRL module is bad.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

but why would the DRL circuit cause the blinkers not to flash? I did replace both and I Do know they are dual filaments LOL, btw where is the drl module oh and is there a way to by pass it and just let the turn signals work? Yeah I know that they are common problems on our cars because I believe a few of our sponsors sell new sockets. What I wanna know is if GM knows it's such a big problem why dont they do a recall? YEAH RIGHT THAT'LL HAPPEN LOL.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadazzls1ta
but why would the DRL circuit cause the blinkers not to flash? I did replace both and I Do know they are dual filaments LOL, btw where is the drl module oh and is there a way to by pass it and just let the turn signals work? Yeah I know that they are common problems on our cars because I believe a few of our sponsors sell new sockets. What I wanna know is if GM knows it's such a big problem why dont they do a recall? YEAH RIGHT THAT'LL HAPPEN LOL.
One filament is for the parking lights and the other is shared by both the turn signal and the day time running lamps. So, the DRL module turns off the day time running light as the turn signal blinks. (There would be no clean/easy way to by bypass it.)

The module is on the HVAC duct behind the radio and has two connectors going in to it.