Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Newbs WS6 build so far/ Pic heavy

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbs WS6 build so far/ Pic heavy

After quit a long wait and alot of research me and the wife decided it was time to step into a sporty'er car, mostly her idea though. So after searching for a little over a year I found this gem down in Tucson around Jan some time.
2000, pontiac WS6, Wasent to keen on getting a car with a auto tranny but I felt it was a good deal and the mods seamed to be in the right area's of the car.

It allready had a small list of mods, mostly all done at a speed shop in Phoneix, with the recipts that proved it.
Too in include,

Sub frame connecters, ZO6 front brake kit, Z06 wheels with amazingly good tires on them still, 19's in the rear and 18's up front. SLP headers, Straight piped, no cats finished up with the SLP loud mouth(the car is way obnixous! but the wife loves it). Auto tranny has been freshend up and was complemented with a 3200 stall converter.

Needs a little interior work but what else would have I expected from car with 100,000 on it.
It's also said to have a TCI intake, new head gaskets and a little shoot of NOS and the computer tweeked a bit to compinsate for all the goodies. Down side to the NOS! Owner had put a bottle throught the car and dropped the bottle when removing it, ruined the bottle. Needless to say Ill have to pic up a bottle for this thing!

Last edited by smashmetal; 05-19-2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: pics
Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Teching In

I was down in Tucson for a business trip and had planned on driving it back up to Salt Lake but still had a couple of months left. So the wife decided she would drive the truck down visit with me a few days and bring her new ride back home with her.

I had allready purchased some Filtermags for the tranny and oil filter, figured it would be safe insurance on a 100,000 car for the ride home. But seeing how it was being towed I wouldent have a good opertunity to test it out. More to come on these though so stay tuned! I also learned that the hood struts don't last long also had to pic some of those up while I was down there.

Last edited by smashmetal; 05-19-2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: words
Old 05-19-2008, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

nice car man. i felt the same way about my auto, i was never going to buy one but couldnt pass up the deal. needless to say i can beat 6 speeds so i dont have much to complain about.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Behold the power of the Internet! After buying the car I couldent keep away from seeing all the cool stuff and mods that folks where doing to these cars. I had always like crome inserts for the hood and the fenders and with this being the wifes car she hardly tells me no!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Looks good, careful with that N02 if the engine has 100k, assuming you don't want to rebuild it lol.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Teching In

I finally get back from my trip around Mar. some time. I figured just to be safe I might a well change the oil so I can start my own maintiance intervals on the car. The previous owner said he had just done an oil change in Jan just before I purchased the car. With the weather still kinda crappy up in Salt Lake the wife onlt pit 250 miles on the car since I had put the Filtermag on. After pulling the filter I had to cut it open just to see what that thing had done in a 250 mile peroid. While the oil drained I cut the filter open, I couldent believe the crap it had cought in such a short peroid of time!

This is the side the Filtermag dident cover

and this is there the Filtermag had been, I swiped a small mark with my finger just to give a bit more of a visual.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Masochist
Looks good, careful with that N02 if the engine has 100k, assuming you don't want to rebuild it lol.
I figured as much, thats why I havent been in a big hurry to put a bottle in it. We sure just like cruzing in it for now.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Just to make sure the car gets taken car of when not in the garage I also piced up a car cover for it. I enjoy taking care of my stuff.

does a pretty good job to.

Here is another order of business, who ever put the NOS on sure dident take care of the details very well. The rubber intake boot from the air box to the intake was the stock unit cut up to fit. If fit like crap and you could tell after it was removed that it had been sucking air from around the voids in it.
So I headed to the local hose supply store seen they had some turbo hose. So I piced up 6"s of 3.5" and 4.0" hose and new clamps. Because if the 3.5" to 4.0" transition the 2 sizes where needed, I ended up sleeving the 4.0" over the 3.5".
Before.

After.

Look closely toward the MAF side and you can see where I doubled the 2 sizes up. The 3.5" is only about 1.5" long

Cost me about $30 by the time it was all said and done!

Last edited by smashmetal; 05-19-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: werds
Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Some poser picks.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Purchased the car in Jan and when I did so I new one of the first Big orders of business was suspension. I allready now who is the hot topic on the board when it comes to suspension, Strano. I must have called at a busy time for him cause I called and a week went by before I recieved a call back. But within that week I had already made quit a large order at BMR.

Needless to say it's sitten like it should now, Ill feed ya'll some details later............................................. ....................................
Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Nice car! I bought mine at 117,000 ks and it needs interior stuff too, especially those door panels.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Loud n' Proud
Nice car! I bought mine at 117,000 ks and it needs interior stuff too, especially those door panels.
I have the same problem too, both my door pnls have nice big cracks in them. I havent been able to find them but some one really needs to make some factory replacments.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Ill throw out some Newb tech, starting with the install of the rear suspension. It consisted of BMR 1" lowering springs, BMR LCA brackets, BMR drop panhard kit and ajustable panhard bar. Finished up with QA1 shocks.

Removal of everything was pretty easy but I had no idea I would have to gut the whole rear interior to get to the upper rear shock mounts.

Shocks where another issue. There is a small detail that is skipped stating that the factory lower shock hole would need to be inlarged to 5/8's to get the QA1's mount to fit. BMR's LCA brackets wrap around and use the factory hole and are allready large enough to accept the new shock mount stud.
Good thing I have a nice selection of tools and just happen to have a 5/8's reaming laying around.
Here is where I realized it was a bit to tight.

reamed up to 5/8's
Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Teching In

The panhard bar relocation kit and ajustable panhard bar I had previously installed with the BMR sway bars a week or so before addign the rest of the suspension. Here is a heads up fir the rest of you may do this later on down the road. If the bolts are installed from tha back of the car going foward the length of the threads will more than likely make contack with the e-brake cable bracket. It's not really a bit deal cause it can be bent slightly to clear but when drop springs are installed they will end up hitting the springs. So take you time and install the bolts going foward aft.

This is where Im turning them around, you can kinda see the chaffing from the bolt on the E-brake cable bracket in the bottom of the pic.

Lots of room now.

Another thing that bothered me a bit was the angle of the panhard bar when everything was installed. Usually these bars run at a slight angle from the frame side of the car going down to the axle attatch point. This was just the opposite, the panhard bar now is higher at the axle side than the frame side.
I contacted BMR on this and they assured me it was ok, still seams a bit weird to me. I guess ill give it some road time before I really form strong feelings about it.

I used a square and 12 scale to center up the rear end again. Placing the square on the rotor I was able to run the scale in and take measurements from both sides in the same spot then ajust the panhard bar untill both measurements where the same.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Teching In

I thought this was cool, I've never would have thought that I would have vehical that had parts on it that said, Made in Australia! this was on the rear calipers.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

nice find at least the last owner did not try to take off all the no2 lines and act like it had never been sprayed hate that **** you can always tell.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice call on the suspension. good luck. Gotta love the black ws6s, and i have the chrome inserts on mine as well. BTW, is nice to see someone who doesn't mind spending the coin to build their car right from the start. I assume some significant mods are in your future?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kw's01z28
nice find at least the last owner did not try to take off all the no2 lines and act like it had never been sprayed hate that **** you can always tell.
I looked for a very long time to try to find a car with NO MODS. I dident want to deal with some of the shade tree crap people do to make there car look good ar go fast. Cars with no mods are pretty hard to find and when I did find one I liked It was pretty low miles wich added a bigger price tag to it. I folded when it came to this car though, the prevoious owner was pretty straight foward about how he was building the car and had the recipts that the work was done at a shop

Originally Posted by landonew
nice call on the suspension. good luck. Gotta love the black ws6s, and i have the chrome inserts on mine as well. BTW, is nice to see someone who doesn't mind spending the coin to build their car right from the start. I assume some significant mods are in your future?
You do get what ya pay for so it might as we'll be done right the first time! The next few mods are going to the interior side. The Monsoon stereo kinda blows and the disk changer is shot. Door panels are a must, does any one manufacture facotory replacments? Having an auto tranny I think it is a must to add a tranny temp guage too. Im still researching horse power adders, I like having a car that it reliable enough that if I decide to drive 5,000 miles right now I would feel confident doing so.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Teching In

I forgot a few more pic's before I move on to the front suspension.

You can kind see here how the new bracket wraps around the front side of the factory shock mount.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Teching In

I should mention that It took me, by my self a total of 16 hours to remove and replace all the suspension components. So I don't have to many pic's of the front cause I was getting a bit worn out and pissy. It's only so fun bolting new parts onto your car before it starts to seam like a job.

I was able to get the old K-member out with having to remove the rack and pinion. I dident plan it that way I dident pay attention and remove the wrong power steering lines. So it just leaked everywhere and never came complety off the car.

I made a couple of spacers for the brake lines to keep them in the right spot. This is where the hard line meets the rubber brake line to the caliper. I thinK BMR could have welded on another tab just foward of the one I have pictured so the factory brake line clamp could just screw back on instead of being Zip tied.

Quick Reply: Newbs WS6 build so far/ Pic heavy