Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Write-up: How to Install BMR K-member for F-body APS TT.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Write-up: How to Install BMR K-member for F-body APS TT.

I've been reading on here where a lot of guys are intimidated by the BMR k-member/APS turbo manifold assemblies install. Using these steps, I found it to be VERY easy. This should be used in conjunction with the APS TT instructions. *I assume no liability should someone become hurt or killed using these instructions. I assume no liability should your car or any other property become damaged using these instructions. Anotherwards, use these instructions at your own risk .

-Drop the motor into the car with the stock k-member (motor mounts attached)
-Install the clutch
-Install the transmission and cross-member.
-Unbolt the sway bar and remove.
-Unbolt the rack and pinion and remove.
-Unbolt the brake line brackets from the lower A-arms.
-Unbolt the bolts to the lower A-arms. All that’s holding the k-member in now is the undercarriage bolts.
-At the shock tower, unbolt the top bolts and inner bolt of the shocks. Pull the A-arms out of the k-member and swing the A-arms out so that you have complete clearance to the sides of the k-members.
-Use the cherry picker to hold the engine in the air, put tension on the chain. *****I did not use a jack stand(s) at this point but it would certainly be a GREAt idea and safety precaution to do so in case the bolt to the motor, chain or cherry picker were to fail.
-Unbolt the undercarriage bolts to the stock k-member.
-With two people, one on top and one from underneath, install the turbo manifold assemblies. Do not fully tighten the bolts and don’t forget the washers.
-Install all the water and oil lines. Make sure they are good and tight because many people have reported leaking, however, pay attention not to strip them.
-Lower the motor so that it is approx 5-6 inches lower than the stock position.
-From under the car, raise the k-member up to the motor mounts and insert the bolts through the mount. I did this alone but it would be much easier with two people. I had to use a cutoff saw and cut one of the bolts to a point in order to bang it into the hole. It went through fairly easily with a little prying. At this point, the new k-member is installed at the motor mounts only.
-Raise the motor until the k-member touches the frame making sure the compressor housings and lines do not hit the frame and the k-member guide pins go into the holes. Tighten down all 6 of the undercarriage bolts.
-Remove the cherry picker.
-Tighten the motor mount nuts onto the bolts.
-Install the starter. Don’t forget to connect the ground wire to the block.
-Tighten the bolts to the turbo manifolds. Make sure the compressor outlets are clearanced from the k-member so that you can connect the cold piping.
-Re-install the A-arms. Done.

Last edited by SStolen; 05-19-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Write-up: How to Install BMR K-member for F-body APS TT.