Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

loud clunking in the rear. I'm desperate

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud clunking in the rear. I'm desperate

I have been after this phantom noise for years. The rear end sounds like the gas tank is jumping up and down. It is def not that but I wanted to give you an idea. So I checked all axle peices and everything is tight. The spare is tight, and I was recomended to replace the hatch struts so I did that and nothing changed.

I did notice that with the car raised and the tires sagged down the spring appears to have play in it. Is the spring supposed to be tightened down some how? My thought is it could be the spring. It was out of the rubber molding once and I pried it into place but that did nothing.

It does this when I go over bumps. the car only has 48,000 miles. Any ideas.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Check all your mounting areas...Torque arm, shocks, sway bar...etc. You should not have play in the springs even if there is not a load on the rear. Have they been cut?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm gonna vote LCA bushings. it wouldn't hurt to upgrade them to 1LE anyway and tighten up the bolts while your at it.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:23 AM
Jme
Teching In

Default Me TOO :D ... :(

Originally Posted by WS6RACING
I have been after this phantom noise for years. The rear end sounds like the gas tank is jumping up and down. It is def not that but I wanted to give you an idea. So I checked all axle peices and everything is tight. The spare is tight, and I was recomended to replace the hatch struts so I did that and nothing changed.

I have this same problem *cough* except 240,000 miles *cough* its usually fine but sometimes i hit bumps and it sounds like you said the tank is bouncing around and i know thats not it. of course i dont know squat about suspension so im in the dark. google here i come!!! if you figure it out def post your fix please!

Small bumps are fine... i used to have a maxima with cut springs and it was rough with bumps but this seems different...i feel better that im not the only one ...of course i feel bad for both of us
Old 05-20-2008, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

A friend of mine had the same clunk your talking about. Then he bumped into his exhaust tips and the entire muffler assembly (tips and all) just fell off, then the clunk went away. It got so rusted where the I pipe meets up with the muffler that it was allowing it to hit something when he went to go put it in gear. Not saying your exhaust is as ghetto as his but it may be something to check out. Oh and check all the hangers and all that back there too
Old 05-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
A friend of mine had the same clunk your talking about. Then he bumped into his exhaust tips and the entire muffler assembly (tips and all) just fell off, then the clunk went away. It got so rusted where the I pipe meets up with the muffler that it was allowing it to hit something when he went to go put it in gear. Not saying your exhaust is as ghetto as his but it may be something to check out. Oh and check all the hangers and all that back there too
I did take it to a muffler shop and they said it was in there real tight a definatly not making that sound. Thanks for the thought though.

Originally Posted by proelky
Check all your mounting areas...Torque arm, shocks, sway bar...etc. You should not have play in the springs even if there is not a load on the rear. Have they been cut?
I dont know if the springs were cut. With the rear lifted by the frame there is some play in the springs. Thats why I thought maybe that was it.

Any one know the stock distance from the top of rear tire to the upper wheel well??
Old 05-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Banned

im not trying to hiack this thread but i need an answer please. I have the UMI double adjustable rod ended LCA. can you adjust them while the car is on a drive on ramp? or would i need to jack up the rearend and then adjust them?

Oh and i have clunking from all my rod ended suspension parts.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cookba
im not trying to hiack this thread but i need an answer please. I have the UMI double adjustable rod ended LCA. can you adjust them while the car is on a drive on ramp? or would i need to jack up the rearend and then adjust them?

Oh and i have clunking from all my rod ended suspension parts.
lol, you're not trying to hijack it, but you do anyway?

but to answer your question, yes, you can adjust them while it's on a drive-on ramp....i did it on mine, and have had no problems. it doesn't really matter what it's on, as long as there's a load on the rear end, so that the suspension is the same height as when it's sitting on the ground. you could even jack the car up and put jack stands under the rear axle itself, and it would be fine....just as long as it's the same height on both sides (just count the # of clicks you use on the first jack stand, then set the other one to the same number of clicks).
Old 05-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by qwikz28
i'm gonna vote LCA bushings. it wouldn't hurt to upgrade them to 1LE anyway and tighten up the bolts while your at it.
+1 on LCA bushings
Old 05-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Banned

thanks 02Z28LS1, it was too late for tech support line at UMI and i needed to get this done. Sorry OP.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

I just replaced my 120k mile suspension with all BMR products and it solved the rear clunking noise. The bushings were shot.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6RACING

I did notice that with the car raised and the tires sagged down the spring appears to have play in it. Is the spring supposed to be tightened down some how? My thought is it could be the spring. It was out of the rubber molding once and I pried it into place but that did nothing.

If you have a Ford 9 inch rear check your brake backing plate bolts.

Quick Reply: loud clunking in the rear. I'm desperate