General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

window squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default window squeaks

Last month I replaced the power window motor in the drivers side door.

Works great, but now I've noticed a squeaking when the window is going down, and a little when going up. I dont see the window rubbing the rubber striping or anything.

Anyone else have this kind of a squeak??
Old 05-20-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...try silicone spray whn window is in down position.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Not normal. Did you adjust anything in the door mechanism when you did the motor? In particular, did you adjust the two felt hold down pads that bolt in to the top of the door? Can you tell if the squeaking is coming from the seals around the glass or from inside the mechanism?

The glass should not be touching the seals for most of the window travel. If it is, you'll need to adjust the hold-down pads.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
Not normal. Did you adjust anything in the door mechanism when you did the motor? In particular, did you adjust the two felt hold down pads that bolt in to the top of the door? Can you tell if the squeaking is coming from the seals around the glass or from inside the mechanism?

The glass should not be touching the seals for most of the window travel. If it is, you'll need to adjust the hold-down pads.
On my gf's car, one of the felt things broke off.

Think I can get it at a local parts store?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Teching In

i havent ever been able to get the hold down pads at the local parts house. that has always been a dealer or tresure yard part.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Blazingz28
On my gf's car, one of the felt things broke off.

Think I can get it at a local parts store?
They are called door window guide stabilizers and you should be able to purchase them from the dealer for around $12-13.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99

I did not adjust anything else in the door, but I suppose its possible one of the felt pads is out of alinment or fell off, I'll have to go out and check that out. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

After taking the door panel off and looking into this squeak, it turned out to be from the new power window motor. A brand new OEM part!

I sprayed the gear/teeth area that rotates, with some silicoon grease and it seemed to have gotten rid of the sqeaking. I've re-assembled everyting and it sounds as good as new. I hope the lube-up lasts, I dont want to have to rip the panel off again and replace the motor.