Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My brakes are really starting to piss me off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My brakes are really starting to **** me off.

I posted a couple months back about a squeeking from my wheels when going down the road. If you hit the brakes, the squeeking stopped. Replaced the pads and rotors and it's still squeeking. So, I think there's a problem with the caliper(s) but I can't get the dealership to even look at the car. I have GM warranty and they tell me it's normal without even looking at it. I called BULLSHIT. This is the 5th 4th gen that I've owned and none of them had this issue.

Any ideas? If rotors and pads didn't solve the problem, isn't it logical to think that it's the calipers? Especially since the squeeking stops when you hit the brakes?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Morpheus
I posted a couple months back about a squeeking from my wheels when going down the road. If you hit the brakes, the squeeking stopped. Replaced the pads and rotors and it's still squeeking. So, I think there's a problem with the caliper(s) but I can't get the dealership to even look at the car. I have GM warranty and they tell me it's normal without even looking at it. I called BULLSHIT. This is the 5th 4th gen that I've owned and none of them had this issue.

Any ideas? If rotors and pads didn't solve the problem, isn't it logical to think that it's the calipers? Especially since the squeeking stops when you hit the brakes?

Check the slide pins on the calipers to see if they have enough high temp grease on them. If they dry out they squeak or might make the caliper hang up a bit. Did you clean the hub surface well before putting on the rotors?? Sometimes you can get rust build up between the two surfaces and it will make the rotor run untrue. Bearings??
Old 05-20-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

squeeks are caused by vibrations, pull it apart, lube it, replace it. squeeking should stop.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Teching In

What these guys said... also, use plenty of anti-squeel on the back of pads when you install them.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

put anti-seaze on te face of the hub after you get the rust off, on the face of the rotor (gray part where lug studs are), on the alluminum slides. also check for loose parts
Old 05-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Had the same problem - it was my wheel bearings. The OEMs lasted me only 75K miles.

Take the brake and rotor off and then turn the hub by hand. It should be perfectly smooth. If you feel or hear any grinding, that may be your problem.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:06 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

My two f-bodies both had that issue. Grease up the back of each pad and where the pad is held into the caliper on the ends (that's where I stopped the squeaking, where the little 1/4 inch tips are held)

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Quick Reply: My brakes are really starting to piss me off.