Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not rank the cams.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why not rank the cams.

There must be a cam guru out there that reads these boards and dyno's. There are too many freaking cams out. I can't make up my mind and I'm damn tired of searching. Someone should be able to simply say, given a good tune, the best daily driver cam is.....Daily driver should mean no bucking and surging and good low end torque. I know some will have lope and some won't... But, geez, first It's get the TR224, then F13, then torque v2, then, VRX3, G5X3, 228r, the list goes on and on. Is there anyone that can simply rank the cams. Maybe pat g or one of the mods...
Old 05-20-2008, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

thats been covered the tr224 on a 112 is the best ls1 cam.......

pure sarcasm
Old 05-20-2008, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

really just search some more or have a sponsor custom spec you one to your wants and needs
Old 05-20-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is best for one is not best for the next person.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats impossible. There are too many variables (pushrods, valves, rockers, owner preference, etc). What may be the best cam, could be the worst for a given application.

Thats like trying to name a best race car driver on the planet. Dale Earnhardt and Richard Petty may have NASCAR hemmed up, but I guarentee Micheal Schumaker would wax both their asses in a F1 car.

The best cam is what is needed to achieve your goal for your engine. Build you cam for the engine, not the engine around the cam.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Have a custom cam designed for YOUR goals. Have it done by a true cam designer not a used car salesman. You wouldn't go to a Proctologist for brain surgery, right?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I daily drive a TSP233/239 (30,000 miles a year) with a 6-speed and 3.23 gears. It drives fine. My sister even drives my car all the time. ****, my mom drove my TR227 cammed car to work back in the day when it was untuned lol.
Not only is drivability in the hands of the tuner, but also in the eyses of the driver. I think my car drives great, but a friend of mine almost couldn't even get it out of my driveway with teh cam and the powergrip HD lol
Old 05-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Launching!

think of it this way... every cam you have prolly heard of is TINY. there is no big, no small... no medium just regular cams... a LARGE cam would be one with .950 lift like in a cup car. a cup car will idle, it will go through traffic, it would even be able to have brakes when its idleing!!!!!!

get the largest cam for your car that is an off the shelf grind and get the damn car tuned!!!!!! ( most important part ) you will not be dissapointed. ive had everything from hot cam. to asa cam, to ms4- all idled, all ran, all had brakes, all bucked a little but was very driveable.

just get one with enough overlap that it will sound good... ms4 sounds WICKED... as does trex
Old 05-20-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HEMIETR
Have a custom cam designed for YOUR goals. Have it done by a true cam designer not a used car salesman. You wouldn't go to a Proctologist for brain surgery, right?

Not unless you had your head up your butt. ba-da-boom!

(You are a great straight-man, HEMI)....aaah that's not short for HEMIroid is it?

Your cam advice was excellent, BTW.

Jon
Old 05-21-2008, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Not unless you had your head up your butt. ba-da-boom!

(You are a great straight-man, HEMI)....aaah that's not short for HEMIroid is it?

Your cam advice was excellent, BTW.

Jon
You crack me up Jon.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:34 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Why would anyone buy a cam that makes great power in an LS1, when they could buy a magic stick and put sound clip of their car idleing on youtube?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated, there are just WAY to many variables between pretty much every single car out there and their owners' goals and preferences to say one cam is better than another. A Vindicator is clearly not going to idle as well as a hotcam, but should make more peak power. If your goals are power oriented, clearly between the two you should go with the Vindicator. But compare a Vindicator to a Magic Stick 4 and the lines get fuzzy. People have opinions, but most of the time they are just that.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no all around best cam but there is a BEST CAM FOR YOUR GOALS!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

While I wouldn't propose ranking them it may be possible to list them. I'm thinking an excel sheet that has columns like:

HP, TQ, RPM range, Idle speed, idle lope, MPG city, MPG hwy, Diveability, (supporting mods), automatic (stall) or manual and what gear set you have. Of course there will be innaccuracies with what people post but with enough data you may be able to get a decent idea of what to expect.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Cam comparison sheet.zip (12.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Lol, you added a "pass sniffer" column.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-21-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by radkon
While I wouldn't propose ranking them it may be possible to list them. I'm thinking an excel sheet that has columns like:

HP, TQ, RPM range, Idle speed, idle lope, MPG city, MPG hwy, Diveability, (supporting mods), automatic (stall) or manual and what gear set you have. Of course there will be innaccuracies with what people post but with enough data you may be able to get a decent idea of what to expect.
This isn't a bad idea.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by radkon

If there is enough interest, I could possibly set up a website where people could input their data and anyone could view it. They could attach their dyno graphs and post comments about their setup, etc.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dazman
think of it this way... every cam you have prolly heard of is TINY. there is no big, no small... no medium just regular cams... a LARGE cam would be one with .950 lift like in a cup car. a cup car will idle, it will go through traffic, it would even be able to have brakes when its idleing!!!!!!

get the largest cam for your car that is an off the shelf grind and get the damn car tuned!!!!!! ( most important part ) you will not be dissapointed. ive had everything from hot cam. to asa cam, to ms4- all idled, all ran, all had brakes, all bucked a little but was very driveable.

just get one with enough overlap that it will sound good... ms4 sounds WICKED... as does trex
Obviously a brilliant engine builder.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ Lol!!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

224 is the best DD cam... with a good all around powerband... it's been proven over and over...

not saying it's the most powerful... but for a DD car, it's perfect...

but like the guys stated above, every setup is different... I made really good power with my 224r cam and I'm happy with it... Don't think I would change it as of right now...

Search this Thread