Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

IRS in 4th gen F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IRS in 4th gen F-Body

i saw some thread on here recently that had a c4 IRS set up in his 4th gen firebird and was wondering if the c4 IRS is a better set up than a 4th gen with lots of suspension mods since i dont know **** about the corvettes suspension at all
Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

I can see it working better for road racing (where would it be a legal mod?) but for the strip you're much better off with the live axle. For the expense you'll be hard pressed to justify the small gains in any case.

Vernon
Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And FWIW a live axle set up can be made to handle very well. Granted it wont be better than a fully setup irs system but for most of the cars out there that folks just take out to play with you can get your car to handle better than them
Old 05-20-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
I can see it working better for road racing (where would it be a legal mod?) but for the strip you're much better off with the live axle. For the expense you'll be hard pressed to justify the small gains in any case.

Vernon
It cost less then $500...all the expense is in labor

As far as the comparison, hopefully we'll have an answer to this soon. My car and several others vs his car in a road course setting and see the difference. At the moment though we're looking for a 6 speed for the car.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it all depends on what you consider "better", and what it's supposed to be "better" at doing.

if your main focus is drag racing, then don't even consider this an option.

for just a daily driver, if set up properly, it would probably offer a bit more comfort, especially if you drive on roads that have a lot of bumpy curves. however, it really depends on how much you're able to get all the parts for, and how long you're able to keep the car down while doing the install.

for auto-x/road course, it will really shine (assuming it is set up really well).

if you do consider doing this, just be prepared to spend a lot of time & effort (and possibly money) to get it all done right.

i really hope this concept starts taking off, and it becomes easier to start doing these type of swaps, and maybe even a company that offers a pre-fabbed conversion setup, or conversion services offered. if it does, i will most likely end up doing this myself, eventually. although my old '95 thunderbird was a turd in the power department compared to my camaro, i REALLY miss the IRS that it had.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Teching In

ya i too hope that someone will offer a conversion for it because the c5 or c6 IRS would be a pain to fit in an f body, if it can realistically be done right and not have to be hacked up to fit in
Old 05-22-2008, 05:51 AM
12 Second Club

I have plans in IRS and i am thinking about the C5 setup.. just need to get a friend's car on the lift so i can run some mesurements. If the length of the torque tube is correct and the with is Ok i might go a head and do it during winter time..
Old 05-22-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Crazy Sweed
I have plans in IRS and i am thinking about the C5 setup.. just need to get a friend's car on the lift so i can run some mesurements. If the length of the torque tube is correct and the with is Ok i might go a head and do it during winter time..
You're going to try and do a transaxle setup in an f-body? That would be an impressive (and exceedingly hard task) IMO. C4 setup with the trans is the normal place is the route I would go, but I'd just buy a C4-C6 before I did that.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mojave
You're going to try and do a transaxle setup in an f-body? That would be an impressive (and exceedingly hard task) IMO. C4 setup with the trans is the normal place is the route I would go, but I'd just buy a C4-C6 before I did that.
It's not that hard if you have buckets full of cash

Quick Reply: IRS in 4th gen F-Body