Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

had a problem with sts kit today on a drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default had a problem with sts kit today on a drive

so today i was taking my car to work and the oil buzzer came on while i was driving and and a lot of white smoke was coming out tof the down pipe, now my turbo is leaking a couple drips of oil from the return line of the turbo and also looks like a drip or two come off the downpipe and there is small spots of oil on my back bumper from driving, do you think the seals went bad on the turbo? and also where can i buy a GT-67 turbo if that is the case. Thanks
Old 05-20-2008, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boosted 99 TA
so today i was taking my car to work and the oil buzzer came on while i was driving and and a lot of white smoke was coming out tof the down pipe, now my turbo is leaking a couple drips of oil from the return line of the turbo and also looks like a drip or two come off the downpipe and there is small spots of oil on my back bumper from driving, do you think the seals went bad on the turbo? and also where can i buy a GT-67 turbo if that is the case. Thanks

The turbo uses rings to seal the bearings. If oil pressure builds up in the turbine, it pushes past the rings and into the exhaust/intake. The fact that your oil buzzer went off means that you lost pessure to the pump (which scavenges oil from the turbine). Thus, the turbine overloaded and dumped the excess oil. Turbo should still be fine

What you need to do is disconnect the intake side pipes and clean the oil out from them. It'll blow onto your MAF otherwise and cause the car to run poorly. Also turn the key to the "run" position w/out turning the car on and make sure you can hear the oil pump cycle. If not, check the relays under hood (the 2x black boxes). If the relays get wet (which happens often as the stock harness lays by the front spring perch), they won't work properly. Good news is they're easy to find at most major auto parts stores and are cheap Also check the connections on top of the oil pump under the car. The spade connectors will sometimes work loose causing intermittent voltage. Finally, if you still have the resistor in the system (the gold colored one under hood that gets stupid hot), cut it out and reconnect the wires. The resistor runs the pump at low speed when not in boost = less oil scavenging from the turbine. The pump will run fine in high-speed mode all the time.

BTW, my STS after 2+ years of operation did the same thing, cept' I didn't have the buzzer sound. I spoke w/ Mike at Va Speed today to get an oil restrictor (to decrese the volume of oil pumped into the turbine) + a small sump under the turbo before the oil return. It'll be a week or 2, but will let you know how it turns out.

Good luck.....sorting out the oil return is the main problem with the system
Old 05-20-2008, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Also, if you find that the pump is running properly, and is properly hooked up, make sure you don't have a hole in the line that runs from the turbo to the scavange pump. My hose got pinched during a launch once, and got a hole in it, and it gave me the same symptoms. With the hole in the line, the scavange pump can't create a vacuum in the line, and the oil wont be sucked out of the turbo.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

awesome, thanks guys, so will the turbo eventually stop leaking the oil
Old 05-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

I had this problem off and on for a few months. The pressure switch that is attached to the oil pump was touching metal and blowing the fuse on the oil pump. Check to make sure that nothing is touching that pressure switch.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boosted 99 TA
awesome, thanks guys, so will the turbo eventually stop leaking the oil
As long as oil return = / > oil feed, then yes

Quick Reply: had a problem with sts kit today on a drive