Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX Vs. aftermarket EFI small block in 72 monte carlo

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX Vs. aftermarket EFI small block in 72 monte carlo

Greetings everyone, I have a real dilemma. I have a 72 monte carlo that I am restoring into a comfortable cruiser. I am looking to drop in a reliable engine that doesn't get horrible fuel economy and still makes enough power to move this boat around with some quickness. Is going for an LSX worth it over an aftermarket fuel injected small block? I know the LSX engines are capable of more power and all kinds of other amazing things, but for a build where I'm looking for around 400 horsepower and am not wanting to spend an arm and a leg would I be better off building an inexpensive 383 stroker and then adding an inexpensive aftermarket efi set up to it? Thank you all for your advice!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 PM
FormerVendor

I would go lsx all the way, reliable and make alot of power.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

would you rather have an inexpensive aftermarket efi system on an inexpensive 383 that might work together or a leading edge engine with better efficiency and an EFI system engineered for it?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Default The LSX is my first choice, but....

I would much rather have the cutting edge engine with better efficiency. My biggest concern is the money it takes to get the cutting edge LSX Vs. what it would cost to get similar power from an efi small block. Budget is the limiting factor unfortunately. If it wasn't I'd have an LS7 in there in a hearbeat! Other than some efficiency what am I giving up by going with the efi small block instead of an LSX?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 72 golden brown
I would much rather have the cutting edge engine with better efficiency. My biggest concern is the money it takes to get the cutting edge LSX Vs. what it would cost to get similar power from an efi small block. Budget is the limiting factor unfortunately. If it wasn't I'd have an LS7 in there in a hearbeat! Other than some efficiency what am I giving up by going with the efi small block instead of an LSX?
It is a lot of money but if you are willing to make some sacrifices you can do it cheap. Like for me doing it again I would grab a low mileage 5.3 Liter with a 4L65E. Put in a LS6 cam, valve springs and push rods. Swap out the intake and throttle body. Buy a F-Body or Corvette pulley setup. Have the harness reworked by speartech, either go with F-Body manifolds or Headers depending on budget. Some sort of aftermarket or modified Oil pan and pickup. Don't forget the fuel system. Some guys here have used the mid 90s impala tank or you could use a fuel cell.

I think you could do something like this for $5-10K depending on how tight you want to be. Maybe less if you really pinch and find deals. There are many guys here willing to help.

I tried puting on a mega squirt on my Big Block and then a FAST EFI controller never got either to work right. Get a system that is designed to work together and do it right the first time. Had I known how great the LSX engine is I would have grabbed one in 2000 and saved myself a ton of cash.

Thanks

Ben
Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

honestly, add it up....cost of a properly(key words is properly) built 383 + the EFI system and controller, you easily exceed 5-6K, and still have to set up a fuel system. You can get a drop out LSX assembly for 4-5K, install a good cam and be on par or better than the 383, and have much better reliability and versatility in tuning....Just my $.02
Old 05-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Just some quick math-5.3-800
re-worked computer and harness-450
run your th350-80
fuel system 500
misc parts 500.
you will be looking at a 335 h.p( with tune) fuel efficient,reliable,fast set-up for under 2500.You could drop in a rebuilt 350 for the same price but it won't have a broad powerband,reliability or gas milage,and it still is just a boring 350.BTW.EARLY Montes Rock!!

Quick Reply: LSX Vs. aftermarket EFI small block in 72 monte carlo