Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best main bearings, and what rings to freshen up motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best main bearings, and what rings to freshen up motor

Im pullin the motor outof the car and i wanto do new main bearings, rod bolts, change lifters, head gaskets (thinner), new head bolts cuz i gotto do em no matter what and then new rings. I cant find the sale of just a piston ring it, every package is with pistons and rings. Also what is the best brand of bearings to get to replace. I dont wanto worry about my car spinning to 7k anymore.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

I like the ACL H race bearings. They hold up to a lot of abuse and my engine builder recommends them over all others in most situations. And he makes less money on them. After the ACL's, I would recommend King bearings. They are another niche industry leader. I do try to stay away from the Clevite bearings. Something about them I just dont like. Dont know what it is though. They seem to last long enough, but Ive seen some torn up clevites out of non-abused motors, whereas the ACL and Kings have come out of some well abused motors looking almost new.

For rings, I would go with some stock replacements. If you went to a plasma moly, your probably never going to seat them properly without putting the proper hone into the cylinder. Its not worth the headache in that department. Contact speed-pro for some stock replacement rings, but be sure to get file to fits, and take your time!!!.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clevite mains are more than fine for the bearings. But if you do rings you'll need to re hone the cylinder walls. Without re honing your seal between the rings and walls is kind of up in the air.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

why not forge everything while your in there
Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Webz
why not forge everything while your in there
lol I also agree with this guy. That's what I did but just be warned, it's pricey once you get into it. One thing leads to another, and another, and another.... Before you know it you've got a pretty nice motor build. Well, I guess that's not all bad...
Old 05-21-2008, 01:28 PM
9 Second Club

well, the reason why the motors coming out is because its going into a new trans am cuz the old one is total's. So money isnt something i can just throw around very easily. Getting my block honed is no problem i got a guy who can do that.

BTW whare would i go online for stock replacments?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dragkid1917
BTW whare would i go online for stock replacments?
www.sdparts.com

Quick Reply: Best main bearings, and what rings to freshen up motor