General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird Panhard Bar Noise..

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird Panhard Bar Noise..

Alright, so the sound in the rear of my car i have kind of finally figured out, but can't figure out why it does it.
Awhile back, with my stock panhard bar, i noticed kind of a tapping noise from the rear while going over any sort of bump that would get the *** end of the car going up and down. Well i thought it was the panhard bar hitting the brace above it, so i bought a new ADJ Umi one and the sound (i thought) went away. All of a sudden, that same damn sound is back. It's like a tapping clunk clunk sound. really hard to explain.
So i get under the car, and just messing around trying to locate the sound, i have one of my buddies apply pressure on the bar towards the front of the car. Sound stops, while pulling the car side to side by the spoiler. Then i have him apply the pressure towards the rear of the car, the sound i'm hearing gets 3x as bad while swaying the car back and forth than with any pressure at all. This is the weirdest stuff ever..anyone have a clue?
Old 05-23-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the parking brake cables held by metal loops to the rear? Some cars didn't get them, and the cables bang on the panhard bar.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

It's not that. It almost sounds like something coming from the rear end/axle.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Are the parking brake cables held by metal loops to the rear? Some cars didn't get them, and the cables bang on the panhard bar.
Those metel loops can sometimes get bent or moved to a different position and end up hitting things when you go over speed bumps or anything which will cause the rear axle to travel. I had the same exact problem and it was driving me nuts, I had just changed my rear axle fluid and moved the loops around in the process and figured that to be the cause. One of the loops was lightly grazing one of the panhard "mounts" or whatever you call it everytime the rear suspension was compressed.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 4150
Those metel loops can sometimes get bent or moved to a different position and end up hitting things when you go over speed bumps or anything which will cause the rear axle to travel. I had the same exact problem and it was driving me nuts, I had just changed my rear axle fluid and moved the loops around in the process and figured that to be the cause. One of the loops was lightly grazing one of the panhard "mounts" or whatever you call it everytime the rear suspension was compressed.
How do metal loops cause the rear axle to travel? I looked under the car and i didn't see any metal loops or anything, you should find a pic for me.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

it sounds like it's coming from somewhere by the spring on the right side, but if you touch the panhard bar you can feel the vibration every time it makes the sound. i took the whole bar out and put it back on tightened it as tight as i could possibly go and no sound change at ALL.

and i see the metal loops, they aren't touching anything
Old 06-07-2008, 10:13 PM
jmb
Teching In

Default Similar noise

Mine kind of rattles when coasting around not so sharp left curve around 30mph.
I've thought about wheel bearings?, but it also sounds like a "gear" type sound. What about a bad shock?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe this will narrow it down. I got under neath again and you can feel the vibration of the sound while shaking left and right on the car, especially when you touch the panhard bar, but as well as the brace above it. All of the bushings look good, i'm going to take that top bar out now and see if the sound is still there, and make sure i tighten it good. it seems like it makes the sound evenly across the width of the car, on both sides.

check out this video, mine sounds just like this when i shake the car back and forth like he is, only...not quite as loud..
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=MVI_0002.flv

here is another thing i found, i got under the car again and now the worst sound is no doubt coming from the wheels on BOTH sides. i then put the car in neutral with the e-brake on, and i have to shake the car 3x as hard to get it to make the sound. i'm getting a little further here, anyone have a clue?

the worst of the sound NOW, is from the wheels, no question. there is still a little sound coming from the bar but the sound in the wheels souns like the video above. earlier, before i moved my car i didn't hear anything from the wheels.

Last edited by slikrider20; 08-18-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

well when i changed my rear swaybar bushings and got a umi dbl adj phb the clunking went away. but i still have some squeeking. ****'ll drive ya crazy man. i think it might be my springs. ive been livin in a hotel since april, so i cant really work on my car. well let us know when you find out what it is. good luck bro
Old 08-19-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

Do you have a aftermarket rear too? The video, (I know it is not your car) sounds like it might be loose backing plates or something is loose in that area??? WHat are your aftermarket parts?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

You said it went away when you switched bars, maybe you should try adjusting you bar some more?
Old 08-19-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

It went away when i took the bar completely out. I think there is 2 seperate sounds, one from the wheels and one from the bar itself. It's frustrating me, i'm kind of confused about the whole deal.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Keep us posted.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

I had a similar problem. I believe that when you lower your car the panhard naturally loosens. Like the guy above me said, try extending your adjus. panhard to a longer setting.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

how exactly do you do that? do you have to have someone push on the side of the car or something? cause theres only one setting it's going to be on to get the bolt to fit in the hole right now.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Well I wouldn't suggest anything that would bend brackets, its just that when I removed the hardware on my stock one, it just fell out. I then installed a Hotchkis adjustable extended about 1"-2" longer than stock and then noises went away. Im just saying that if you can get it tighter without braking anything then do it. Lifting the rear axle may give you more room to play with.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Z2ate
I had a similar problem. I believe that when you lower your car the panhard naturally loosens. Like the guy above me said, try extending your adjus. panhard to a longer setting.
This is not right. The panhard bar will naturally "push" the rear end to the right of the car, thats why you get an adjustable one to recenter it.

Originally Posted by slikrider20
how exactly do you do that? do you have to have someone push on the side of the car or something? cause theres only one setting it's going to be on to get the bolt to fit in the hole right now.
While this shouldn't make a difference for the noise, you did recenter the rear end by adjusting the panhard bar correct? (and you want to do this at ride height so its centered while driving obviously)

Back to the noise, it doesn't sound bushing related to be, more like metal on metal or plastic.
Sounds almost like exhaust or something that is dangling down.
Brace things like the exhaust, LCA's, torque arm and swaybar while someone pushes the car back and forth to see if you can feel anything or quiet the noise. I would be tempted to take things off one by one too see if there is any difference.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slikrider20
I JUST FOUND MY NOISES LAST WEEK AFTER installing new lca's and phb from bmr trying to decrease bumps and rattles they got worse. kept shaking everything and looking to no avail. last week we got it on a lift that kept the suspension loaded and started shaking suspension parts the crush sleeves for the bushings in the lca's and phb are allowing 1/16 to 1/8 inch movement. so i call bmr they say you need to torque it down to 100 ft lbs because they supply american sleeve sizes for metric bolts. don't know if this is your problem or not but I am puuting on my new sleeves and getting them torqued down tonight. I will keep yopu informed.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

knappbunch, where did you get the new sleeves? I have some play in my BMR stuff too.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

slikrider, do you have a "on-car" adjustable bar or do you have to remove it to adjust it?

Quick Reply: Weird Panhard Bar Noise..