Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Any experiences with ebay aftermarket panels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any experiences with ebay aftermarket panels?

My driver side fender was involved in a hit and run in January and I just never got the chance to replace it. The fender is cracked and is no good anymore. I've been hoping a damaged black Camaro would show up at a local salvage yard, but none have. I am getting tired of waiting and thinking about just ordering an aftermarket fender on ebaymotors.

Has anyone had any experiences with the fit of the aftermarket panels? Should I spend $200 shipped for a fully painted fender or $70 shipped for one that's just primed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...m250248900621&
Old 05-22-2008, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

I personally would not replace anything on a car with an aftermarket piece. Hoods, Fascias, and Fenders are the worst when trying to bolt up to factory pieces. I've had my current F-body for 8 months now. I actually replaced my inner fender liner today, and realized the previous owner had an accident and put an aftermarket fender and fascia..Which led to a two hour re-fitment of the two due to the NEW factory liner not fitting properly! Save yourself a headache.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a very similar experience with my Camaro. Happened in December. Someone forced me off the road then left. I didnt buy them off ebay, but they were CAPA certified. Turned out great! I think GM still makes the body pannels though. They werent cheap, but well worth it!

Scene of the accident

Picture from about 3 weeks ago (Gaps just needed to be fixed)
Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

And no, I definately wouldnt have them paint it.. It probibly will not match the rest of your car.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my experience with afterbirth panles are nothing to write home about, the only ones that are decent fitting and use a factory e-coat, is keystone, all the other copanies out there making jap crap panles just stop the madness lol
but we have to put on what the insurance company tells us to put on, like allstate uses jap crap panles, statefarm uses OEM
even though your fenders are plastic a aftermarket fender will fit like crap bottom line, and dont have it painted, it wont match 1, 2, it is a afterbirth panle there will be fitment issues
Old 05-24-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=Camaro_94;9417730]I had a very similar experience with my Camaro. Happened in December. Someone forced me off the road then left. I didnt buy them off ebay, but they were CAPA certified. Turned out great! I think GM still makes the body pannels though.

for all you lt1 guys gm does not make fenders for the lt1 camaros anymore. i recenctly just tried to get 2 of them because im doing a minor resotoration on mine and all i could get was the drivers side. and out here there was only 3 left. for you ls1 guys its something to look into. as for aftermarket parts most fit like crap. capa certified or oer certified will be the best thing to get but if you can get the originals fork out the cash and just get them.