Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New alternator...still having voltage drops??

Old 05-23-2008, 06:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New alternator...still having voltage drops??

Purchased and installed a Delco CS130D (160 amp) alternator last night. I did the big 3 last weekend as well.

Anyway, my volt meter is still dropping at idle to 11 / 12, and to about 12 while driving...I figured at idle the alt might have a higher idle rating (1000 - 1100) while my car idles around 850 rpm. But while driving I figured it shouldn't drop at all?

900 rms (sub) and 4 x 85 rms (speakers). Do I need a new battery...or a higher capacity alternator...

fjlskajfsla...
Old 05-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you put a DMM to it or take it to an auto part store. They can check your charging system for free right from the car.

What other electrical accessories are you running? It could be that the battery has a few dead cells and not holding a full charge. i wouldn't rely on the volt gauge in the dash, mine is off.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by candela
I suggest you put a DMM to it or take it to an auto part store. They can check your charging system for free right from the car.

What other electrical accessories are you running? It could be that the battery has a few dead cells and not holding a full charge. i wouldn't rely on the volt gauge in the dash, mine is off.
no other accessories, never use AC either.

I did notice when I took out the other alternator..the harness on top only had 1 wire going to it?? The other 3 were cut...must have had an interesting previous owner, unless that's okay.

I should also check my grounds...when I did the big 3 I left the factory wires attached...I thought it wouldn't matter?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by waltonscott
no other accessories, never use AC either.

I did notice when I took out the other alternator..the harness on top only had 1 wire going to it?? The other 3 were cut...must have had an interesting previous owner, unless that's okay.

I should also check my grounds...when I did the big 3 I left the factory wires attached...I thought it wouldn't matter?

Thanks
That harness should only have one wire, it tells the computer to charge the battery when the car is running. As said before, DO NOT go by that gauge. Mine seems to read a little low as well....for years. I had it checked, and have a new alternator and a Optima yellow top. Never had any issues while driving....I wouldn't worry.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Yessir, yellow tops all the way.

Waltonscott, did ya take the car to get checked?
Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you using a voltmeter or scantool referencing from the ECU?
Old 05-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

He is reading the voltage gauge in the cluster.

Search this Thread