Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI engine build (800 HP), required.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation FI engine build (800 HP), required.

Hey Y'all,

I have a 2002 bone stock trans am that I'm working on and I pretty much know where to take her visually and I want the car to have the powers that compliments the way she's gonna look. Problem is I know S**T about mechanics and where I live, I really can't trust our mechanics to build me the engine my car deserves. So, a friend of mine suggested to post in LS1TECH and he told me that a lot of the site's sponsors would be happy to build my engine for the right price.

Requirements:

I want a street application turbo charged engine, since I want to buy an APS twin turbo set up to keep my AC and everything. My HP goal is a streetable 800+ on the wheel give or take a few ponies, since we don't have tracks where I live so the car will never see any track racing. I'll also buy a rear end, build up manual tranny, and a full exhaust system to complete the build, so sponsors' feedback on the selection of those parts is appreciated.

So guys shoot out your build sheets and offers, since this guy is ready to tear up the street.

P.S. I know this build will cost some serious $$$$, but I'm ready to cough it up for the right set up.

Meado
Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

i recommend calling up bob at exotic performance plus. they have dealt with and installed with a few aps kits already and can do the whole 9 yards to get your car exactly where you want it to be as far as engine, fuel, drivetrain, etc. hope this helps! i have first hand experience with them and am sure you would be very pleased.

Jon

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For a pure street car, 800 hp is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY over kill. Shoot for 500-600 which will be way more fun.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a pure street car, 800 hp is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY over kill. Shoot for 500-600 which will be way more fun.
Agreed. You would need so many more modifications to support 800hp and its not even gonna see track time. Not worth it. 600hp can get you into low 11's or high 10's and the aps system can do it for sure...Get ready for 12,000+ for everything your gonna need...i.e. rearend, tranny, aftermarket k-member, built motor, etc...
Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

if you really want 800rwhp its gonna cost but it will be a crazy setup, with 500-600 you will be able to hit low 10's which is a great car. Good Luck with your setup. Keep us updated
Old 05-23-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say much closer to $20k:
Built Motor = $3500++
APS = $6000+
K-member = $500+
Fuel = $1200++ IF you use your stock lines
Wideband, fuel, boost gauges and pillar = $600+
SD Tune = $500++
Tranny = $1500++
Rear, Driveshaft, Torque Arm = $3000+
And Labor... $xxxx.xx haha, $12k... yea right. And those prices are on the low end. You could easily spend $6k in an engine, $2k in a fuel system, $800+ on a tune. And don't forget the nickel and dime stuff either like catch can, MAP sensor, boost a pump
Old 05-23-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i agree 500-600 is perfect for the street
Old 05-24-2008, 06:21 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Superman09
i recommend calling up bob at exotic performance plus. they have dealt with and installed with a few aps kits already and can do the whole 9 yards to get your car exactly where you want it to be as far as engine, fuel, drivetrain, etc. hope this helps! i have first hand experience with them and am sure you would be very pleased.

Jon
Thanks Jon, I appreciate it!

Check out this '02 Firehawk that we installed an APS kit on after we built a new LS2 engine for it. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=39 Bob
Old 05-24-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ninetres
Beat me to it, 800rwhp is a stupid goal for street only. Not only are you going to have to upgrade unnecessary parts which will lead to other parts, etc, etc and obviously cost allot of money but you won't even be close to be able to use all of that power. 600-650rwhp is more than enough for the street.

You could basically keep your crank and upgrade your pistons and even reuse your rods if you wanted which you might as well upgrade anyway but some don't. You could even hit your 600rwhp easy with stock heads and upgraded springs and pushrods. Basically only need the pistons forged and the motor will be happy, dual intank pumps with some 60lb injectors using stock feed and evap as return and boost ref reg along with a built rear and trans.

Look up Zombie's threads, he's done a reliable street/strip car on a discount really nice and it hauls *** and works great. I'd also say go with a D-1 kit and don't look back, less stuff to worry about and cost less. APS kits are cool though and if you want to waste your money on things you aren't going to even use than be my guest. Better than crack so they tell me but boost is more addictive and will cost more in the end
Old 05-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Talking

Hey guys,

Thanx for all the feedback, however, to clarify one thing 800+ rwhp isn't an over kill where I live, since we have a couple of 900 hp and 1000 hp cars cruising around and whipping the floor of the likes of the new Carrera GTs, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis especially the new LP640 (we have a couple of those here). We also have ricers on Subarus and Evos hitting 600+, not to mention the all mighty Silvia and RX7 with the LS7 engine. Most of my friends' cars are already @ 400+ and 500+ rwhp and they can get more with a little bit of juice. So, I figured since I'm willing to pay more than they did I should at least get in the 800+ range, if someone is willing to work with me on my budget. Also, one more thing, The engine is the only thing getting built and I'll buy everything else that goes with it like the tranny, rearend, suspension, and fuel system and installation will not take place at the sponsor's shop since I can't ship my car back to the states. So, I won't have to pay for labor to install everything on the car since I know it costs a loooooooooot to do so in the states.

Bob,

I really like what you did to this Hawk, can you PM me with the figure this gentlemen paid and also can you spray on top of the turbo set up? Will this engine take another 100 hp in the form of N2O?

P.S. don't worry where I can use an 800 hp car, where I live believe me I can, no sweat.

Meado
Old 05-24-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you need to do allot more researching/homework if you are going to be installing this on your own. There is allot associated with these serious FI builds. You don't want to do something wrong or skimp out b/c it can cost you allot. Trust me, there is always something that you will forget and have to adress while you are in the midst. I can't even guess how much research I did for my car before I even started to think about ripping it apart. Plus it wasn't my first build either. Good luck and be ready to lighten up that wallet. It will be fun trying to get 800rwhp to hook on the street thats for sure.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by berserk_z28
Hey guys,

Thanx for all the feedback, however, to clarify one thing 800+ rwhp isn't an over kill where I live, since we have a couple of 900 hp and 1000 hp cars cruising around and whipping the floor of the likes of the new Carrera GTs, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis especially the new LP640 (we have a couple of those here). We also have ricers on Subarus and Evos hitting 600+, not to mention the all mighty Silvia and RX7 with the LS7 engine. Most of my friends' cars are already @ 400+ and 500+ rwhp and they can get more with a little bit of juice. So, I figured since I'm willing to pay more than they did I should at least get in the 800+ range, if someone is willing to work with me on my budget. Also, one more thing, The engine is the only thing getting built and I'll buy everything else that goes with it like the tranny, rearend, suspension, and fuel system and installation will not take place at the sponsor's shop since I can't ship my car back to the states. So, I won't have to pay for labor to install everything on the car since I know it costs a loooooooooot to do so in the states.

Bob,

I really like what you did to this Hawk, can you PM me with the figure this gentlemen paid and also can you spray on top of the turbo set up? Will this engine take another 100 hp in the form of N2O?

P.S. don't worry where I can use an 800 hp car, where I live believe me I can, no sweat.

Meado
You must be talking about freeway rice races. 800whp will psin the **** out of tires anywhere but the track, and at any speed under 100mph. POINTLESS.

Takes a SERIOUS suspension $$$$$$ setup to hook 800whp from a dig on the street.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out my camaro build. I give the specifics. You are looking at alot of $$ though and am not kidding for reliable 800rwhp. Too many specs to list and well im just lazy so check out my camaro in my garage on fquick. My ride keeps AC BTW. Single turbo but that can easily get you where you want to, so you dont have to be stuck on twins. You can never have enough power as you never know how much power the guys next to you has.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like others have said. I hope you have a big budget. I'm shooting for 850rwhp myself. My rough estimates on what I've spent so far come out between 32-35k. I'm doing the work myself too and the car isn't done yet. Basically the only things left original at this point is a couple body panels and the internals of the transmission...which will probably end up being replaced also.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
Like others have said. I hope you have a big budget. I'm shooting for 850rwhp myself. My rough estimates on what I've spent so far come out between 32-35k. I'm doing the work myself too and the car isn't done yet. Basically the only things left original at this point is a couple body panels and the internals of the transmission...which will probably end up being replaced also.
32-35k?? thats the car too i hope. 850hp I dont think would take a lot.
My stock 5.3 w/ just 6L heads on it and a n/a off the shelf cam on 15psi and pump gas makes around 600. If I ever built a decent shortblock and got some real heads and a cam made for it.....850whp is a breeze. And wouldnt cost 1/2 what you said.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
32-35k?? thats the car too i hope. 850hp I dont think would take a lot.
My stock 5.3 w/ just 6L heads on it and a n/a off the shelf cam on 15psi and pump gas makes around 600. If I ever built a decent shortblock and got some real heads and a cam made for it.....850whp is a breeze. And wouldnt cost 1/2 what you said.
Sure, it may cost half that for the engine and a couple small mods, keep in mind we are talking going from stock to being fully built to handle this power reliably. At that level of power your only as strong as your weakest link of course, you need tranny, suspension, tune, fuel, etc.

Fully Built Motor=$4000
Good turbo Kit=$6000-$8000+
Suspension minus Rear End=$3000
Fuel=$1500, $2000 to run new lines, etc
Guages, boost controller=$500
Tranny=$2500+
Rear End=$2500
Brakes/Wheels/tires=$3000+
Nickel and dime stuff=$2000
Total=$27,500 and that is if you can do the stuff on your own. I understand you can cheap and leave stuff out, but when you do that you end up breaking stuff more often. Good luck, just know its going to take time and lots of $$ to do it right. Its better to get the motor built correctly and the car to be able to handle 800+rwhp with the suspension/tranny, etc therefore you are not tempted to up the boost when the rest of the components cant handle it and you are left with a blown engine or broke rear end, etc.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:03 AM
Teching In

Angry

Guys,

That's why I'm leaving this to the PROs (sponsors) most of them have built a lot of cars in that 800+ hp category and by now most of them know how much it would cost to do so. When you are building your own car, you get to pay a lot of money trying to do something that others have already tried, that's why I think it's more efficient to have someone with that experince helps you out.

My goal is 800+ hp turbo'd or procharged, and with a little bit of N2O. So, it can be 650 with 150 shot.

One more thing, I'm not going to work on the car myself, as I stated above, I know S**T about mechanics, however, labor work doesn't cost as much where I live now.

Until now I've only got one sponsor to look in my thread, hmmm, I believe not a lot interest here .
Old 05-25-2008, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

then you just need to get on the phone with the sponsor and let him know these goals. They dont always look at all of these threads as there is alot and they are quite often busy working on other customers cars. Just give them a call and they can help you out. Look on the advertisements on the right, TONS of sponsors that will be willing to help you out with just one phone call away.

Last edited by LS2Camaro; 05-25-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:04 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by berserk_z28
Hey guys,

Bob,

Meado
Meado, I'll have to take a look at what we had invested in that build. I'm sure the engine was over 10k after everything was factored in.

Take a look at this CTS-V we built starting with a new LS2 block. The power level we are getting with only 14.4 psi of boost out of an ATI ProCharger F-1A sounds like what you are after.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=29

The suspension that we installed in my own Z28 is along the lines of what is going to be needed to harness the power your car will be producing. You can check it out here.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12
My car is featured in the current July copy of GM High-Tech.
Check out the fuel system we put together for my Z28, it is along the lines of what is going to be required for supplying the fuel for your engine. Bob
Old 05-25-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Superman09

Jon
They are the best shop in North America for what you are looking for.

Quick Reply: FI engine build (800 HP), required.