General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ticking/rattling coming from the valvetrain *Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking/rattling coming from the valvetrain *Video

Ok, so it's been making this sound since a trip to the track about a month ago. The track runs went badly (mechanical overrev, launched at too high of rpms, hit the rev limiter), so I know I messed something up, but I need some help diagnosing before I dig into the valve train for the first time.

It's a rattle type sound when the revs come down, and a ticking on cold starts. The ticking goes away, so I think it's just piston slap (which just starting happening after the track runs). But the rattling is always there. My oil pressure jumped too, now it's between 50-60 at idle (instead of ~40 like it was before the runs). From the video, it seems to be worse on the passenger side, but in person it sounds like it's coming from both sides. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

It's kinda hard to hear in the videos, but it's that rattling that starts right when the revs come down. It's a lot louder in person.

You can hear it really well at :22

Old 05-25-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a little hard to hear in the video, but when I hear "overrev", I immediately want to suggest checking pushrods. Bet you've got one (or a couple) with a slight bend to them.

This is what mine looked like (left is ok, right is shaped like a banana).

Old 05-25-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keliente
Jeez, lol. Would it be ok to drive it with bent pushrods till I have enough for new ones? Or should I make this a really high priority? I'm gonna rip it all apart tonight hopefully, to find out for sure.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2008, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

High priority.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bent pushrod my guess due to the overrev, but I get that sound too, with mine it's a lifter that kinda deflates under particular situations, I can run it hard at the track then on a normal drive give it a little or almost stall it and that blip of low pressure is enough to get it started. Idle for a min or 2 at a light and it'll be back to normal, but it WILL do that on my car every once in awhile. I have hardened pushrods too.