Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

D1-SC, leaking oil when the car is off, 1800 miles on it..

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default D1-SC, leaking oil when the car is off, 1800 miles on it..

I was putting the new radiator and pulley in over the last few days with a friend. When I got under the car I noticed that the intercoolers/blower were a little dirty, more so than they should be with less than 2k on the build. I cleaned it all off and after about 15 mins a *tiny* bit of oil had seeped out the lowest most bolts on the blower (around the holes of the smallest most hex head bolts), the one on the very bottom and the one to the left of it.

What do you guys think I should do? I checked them and they are tight. Do I need to send it off to ATI? Any solutions? Also, this is with the car off, not the blower in motion and it has about 1800 since it was new.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:44 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the valve cover breather hose hooked up to the plastic inlet hat it will collect oil in the blower and drip out of the bottom. The blower housing isnt sealed 100% and it will seep out. If its black dirty oli its most likely where its coming from.

If you dont have the hose hooked up..

On a hot day the head unit will build up quite a bit of pressure and its not uncommon to get a drop or two forming on the bottom after the car is shut off, usually not enough to drip on the ground. Every procharger I had did that to some extent, the procharger oil is thin and it doesnt really look like engine oil.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was about to say the same thing. pull off that breather hose at the blower and inspect it. its most likely motor oil. your intercoolers are probally a little coated to. enjoy reading up on what to do with your pcv system. good luck
Old 05-25-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, the pcv system is very important and is neglected by many.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

The hat looks clean, the part that worries me is that I had the blower completely off, changed the oil, put on the new pulley and cleaned it off. I mounted it back up and quit for the night. It had a little seeping from the housing after about 15-30 mins, but I figured it was just something I missed. I cleaned that really well then went to bed. It was the first thing I checked in the morning and it had seeped out again, a VERY small amount, less than a drop by each bolt.

I'm new to FI so I want to me sure. The car made 10psi on a 4.5" pulley and now it has a 3.7" and I'm worried that it will puke oil when the throttle body snaps shut. I'm not sweating having to by a bigger bypass or BOV, I'm just worried there is something wrong with headunit. Thanks again for the help!

EDIT: The oil that seeped was very clean, looked like a drop of syrupy ice tea. Also, it has never dripped to the ground.

Last edited by 'Trust'; 05-25-2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Oil
Old 05-26-2008, 08:14 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I'd go ahead and use it, and keep an eye on the oil level in the head unit to see if it is leaking much. Bob
Old 05-26-2008, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

Bob, good to know. If I run into a problem with it, what is ATI's warranty on this stuff?
Old 05-26-2008, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Bob, good to know. If I run into a problem with it, what is ATI's warranty on this stuff?
Depends on the purchase date.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

since you mentioned changing the sc oil, did you reuse the nylon washer on the drain screw? might be the problem. dont know why they just dont use o-rings.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ZDOG
since you mentioned changing the sc oil, did you reuse the nylon washer on the drain screw? might be the problem. dont know why they just dont use o-rings.
The fill uses a nylon washer, the drain plug does not, it uses a O-ring.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

Both the fill screw and the drain plug have their nylon washer and o-ring, respectively. Its not coming from either of those but the little hex head bolts that hold the housing together.

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
Depends on the purchase date.
About 4 months ago, I can probably find the receipt.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:22 PM
FormerVendor

Both the fill screw and the drain plug have their nylon washer and o-ring, respectively. Its not coming from either of those but the little hex head bolts that hold the housing together.

About 4 months ago, I can probably find the receipt.
If its not them, then either its PCV oil or its off the shaft seal.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

If its not them, then either its PCV oil or its off the shaft seal.
Shaft seal would make the most sense out of the 3, but I'm still not sure. I'll get a picture this week if you don't mind looking at it?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:45 PM
FormerVendor

Shaft seal would make the most sense out of the 3, but I'm still not sure. I'll get a picture this week if you don't mind looking at it?
Sure thing, yank the hat off it and check the inside, if theres residue it may be from the pcv setup.

How is yours currently done?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

so thats why my blower had oil on it.......was always dirty oil....got a catch can for the new motor
Old 05-26-2008, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Sure thing, yank the hat off it and check the inside, if theres residue it may be from the pcv setup.

How is yours currently done?
GTO PCV to the hat I believe, although I'll have to double check. The only reason I wasn't thinking PCV is because I had the head unit off along with the hat, cleaned it all off, replaced the pulley and changed the oil, then mounted it back up, no belt or hat on it, just the blower on the bracket. Then about 30 mins later i noticed oil around the smaller hex bolts.

I took these with my camera phone so not the greatest, but you can see where I mean. It is only 2 screws that it is leaking from (the one to the left of the center of the pic and the one to the left that's not pictured), and its very slight, you can see it, but still worries me.

I thought I could teflon tape the screws but that may be a bad idea. What do you think? (over all, not just on the teflon tape, lol).
Old 05-26-2008, 09:06 PM
FormerVendor

GTO PCV to the hat I believe, although I'll have to double check. The only reason I wasn't thinking PCV is because I had the head unit off along with the hat, cleaned it all off, replaced the pulley and changed the oil, then mounted it back up, no belt or hat on it, just the blower on the bracket. Then about 30 mins later i noticed oil around the smaller hex bolts.

I took these with my camera phone so not the greatest, but you can see where I mean. It is only 2 screws that it is leaking from (the one to the left of the center of the pic and the one to the left that's not pictured), and its very slight, you can see it, but still worries me.

I thought I could teflon tape the screws but that may be a bad idea. What do you think? (over all, not just on the teflon tape, lol).
Its not the screws that are leaking, the cover is only flush mount with it. It relies on a flat metal surface to seal as there is no o-ring or vband like most turbo chargers.

I believe the f-series blowers do have an o-ring in them as they are meant to make a bit more boost.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Its not the screws that are leaking, the cover is only flush mount with it. It relies on a flat metal surface to seal as there is no o-ring or vband like most turbo chargers.

I believe the f-series blowers do have an o-ring in them as they are meant to make a bit more boost.
Thanks for the input man. I am new to FI so I may have missed it. What is the solution? Pardon my ignorance.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:35 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the input man. I am new to FI so I may have missed it. What is the solution? Pardon my ignorance.
If the oil/gooe is more of a finer mist rather then a sludge / goop, then it is most likely blower oil, check the markings on the dipstick, it should tell you how much is in the blower.

If it is the blower oil leaking that bad, it will be the shaft seal leaking it into the compressor side, this should be covered under warranty.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Its not goop, definitely finer. Is it suggested not to use the blower then? I'll call ATI in the morning.

Last edited by 'Trust'; 05-26-2008 at 10:05 PM.