Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

confused on motor to go with

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default confused on motor to go with

Ok I want a new bottom end, but I am not sure which direction to go with. I want to keep the heads, intake and cam that I have now with the stock bottom end. I want this car to be very streetable, barely take it to the track, I want very good TQ and HP under the curve, somewhere in the 500RWHP and 450 - 500RWTQ range.

With that being said, I have some people tell me that having my car forged to a 383 will get me there, others say to go with a 402, others say my heads will not be sufficient with the 402, but I think if my AFR 205 Heads and Fast 90 Intake are ported it will breath fine and get me there.

My mods are in my signature. People with similar setups please share your experiences. I want to do this once and done the right way.

Thanks in advance,

Sam
Old 05-26-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could do 383-408 no problem.

I have a friend who had very mild H/C setup on his stock 346. He spun a rod bearing and bought a 408 shortblock. He swapped everything over. He even still has the stock LS1 intake on it and it runs ok. It falls flat on its face when going WOT and hitting 3rd gear. I believe its due to insufficient fuel delivery.

You have better heads and a better intake manifold than he does so you should be fine. Just make sure you upgrade your fuel pump and injectors for bigger cubes.