Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12.1@120.33mph w/ 477whp????

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12.1@120.33mph w/ 477whp????

First, let me say that I have been drag racing for ~10yrs. The 60' was a 2.05 which can be better, but I only ran the car twice and was so pissed with the mph it laid down that I left. Anyone who drag races knows that ET is mostly dependant on launch while the mph a car lays down is 99% the power it is making. Anyways, I am only stating that so we can just throw the "need driving mod" out the window. I ripped on the car on that pass, only the 60' could have been better.

Now, on to why I posted this in here. You will note in my sig that with just bolt ons, I went 11's @ a faster mph than this run. That was only 418whp/417wtq. That run was on a ~65deg day w/ ~50% humidity. The run above was a 81deg night with 94% humidity. I checked weather.com to confirm temp and humidity. Basicially, I am questioning the tune. The car runs great. Hardly any surging, hot starts, cold starts, gets good mileage, etc. Vengeance Racing did the install and tune at that. My issue is, when the ambient temperatures get around 75deg, my car feels gutless. It feels like its getting no timing advance, etc. I have no way of knowing because I don't have EFI live and cannot log for KR or timing advance, but my old EVO would run **** timing numbers when it would feel "numb" like my vette does in hot weather. Also, when the temps get to around 75~80deg or so, the car won't even spin first gear!! What kind of 477whp vette do you guys know that can't spin first? By spin first, I mean I will just throw it in first, get rolling and peg it. It will hook the whole way. Stock Z51 supercar tires are on the car.

My question is, what in the tune could be pulling the power out so drastically when the ambient temps are warmer? I have a Vararam as an intake, so I am pulling VERY close to ambient temps. Is it just the nature of a cam'ed car to lose some serious power when its hot? Do note that my coolant temp was 205deg at the time of the perviously mentioned run, so I was dealing with higher IAT's, a more conservative timing condition due to the coolant temp, and richer AFR's b/c of the coolant temp. Still though, we are talking about 477whp, this car should have laid down AT LEAST 122~123mph EVEN in crap conditions IMO.

I would appreciate any help you guys can offer. I am extremely pissed right now. To think that I paid all of this money for big power only to find out that its slower than my old setup in 15deg hotter weather makes me want to shoot someone.

*Note: All of the plugs look perfect and I did a compression test on the car that came out immaculate as well. There seems to be no internal issues at all*
Old 05-27-2008, 06:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have a dyno chart you can post? What specs on the cam?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

Here is the dyno http://www.putfile.com/pic/8075345

Click on full size to get a better view. The dyno run is from 2800rpm to 6500rpm. Only specs I can release on the cam are low 23X/low 24X, .61X/.62X, 115LSA
Old 05-27-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe the Inlet Air Temp correction tables are pulling timing (anywhere from 2 to 10 degrees) in order to prevent detonation. If you had a scan tool you would view the timing values, IAT, ECT and MAP values to verify.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

IAT's are what I have been discussing with my tuner. They are set very conservative. We are going to do some logging to see how aggressive we can get with them. According to his settings I was pulling -4.5 deg just based on IAT alone. Not sure if that would have given me another mph or 2 or not. It was just a crappy night. My brother driving a stock C5Z only trapped 109.XX on that night. He has been 12.6@113mph in that car bone stock. A 911TT w/ a chip and exhaust was only trapping 114mph. Everyone was running crap times/mph's.