Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into 87 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 into 87 Camaro

hey guys, i just thought of this real quick before im about to head out to work, im sure its been done many many times be people on this board and a quick search yielded nothing for me.

anyway, since im late ill make it quick, Basicly just wondering, how hard of a swap it is, rough price on the swap, and what is needed?

ill do more searching on my own tonight when i get back home, but any starter help would be greatly appreciated... the car im being offered only has 58k miles on it!!! its mint!!!!!

thanks guys!!

Phil
Old 05-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

all the info you could just about ask for will be at www.thirdgen.org There's probably a hundred swaps either done or in progress......mine is in progress(slow and slower is all I can say right now!) Good luck on the swap. I've seen a few and it's well worth the work.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bygblok
all the info you could just about ask for will be at www.thirdgen.org There's probably a hundred swaps either done or in progress......mine is in progress(slow and slower is all I can say right now!) Good luck on the swap. I've seen a few and it's well worth the work.

Basically, it's just a matter of getting the motor out...and putting a motor in. Then, you have decide on your drivetrain parts. It can be made pretty easy, or you can make it a living hell to do.

Are you going to drop a stock LS1 in there? If you're going that route, your best bet is to get a complete motor ready to drop in. Are you building a motor from the block-up?

Lots and lots of variables go into the cost. Are you doing the work yourself? It can go anywhere from $0-(Infinite Amount) depending on how much of the parts you already have and how crazy you want to go.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mine is taking a long time and wads of cash because I swapped everything from front to rear..... along with a built LS motor, I also bought a built th350, moser 9", all the rear suspension, doing a tubualr k-member, coil overs, manual rack, etc, etc....like he said, the cost can go out the roof and I haven't even put a nick in it yet!!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

thank you much for your responses. Sorry i was very brief but now i am able to elaborate a little bit more.

The engine will remain 100% stock for now.

Probably be looking for an LS1 mated with an M6 and all needed wiring harness' ecu etc.

I will be doing this myself as this will definitely not be my first rodeo haha, im more or less just looking for something fun. I dont want to go run 10s right now, especially with gas prices. It will most likely end up as my daily driver.

I did post up on the 3rdgen boards, thank yuo very much for that link, i come from the evil land of imports and fords so im not up on the LSx, LTx and just most general SBC stuff much anymore. I was raised in a chevy household and was shunned the first time i drove up in my black sn95 mustang, which i ended up selling due to sheer boredom with the car.

Anyway, thank you very much!

my only remaining questions would probably be

a. is it a direct drop in?
b. do i need special headers?
c. what wiring is needed to be done.

Thanks again, off to the recording studio

Phil
Old 05-29-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

also very curious about the price of his project

Quick Reply: LS1 into 87 Camaro