Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

how much difference is this making or not making???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how much difference is this making or not making???

ok some of you guys have read some of my stories but if you havent i am doing a 68 camaro 388 stroker project.... the motor i had before was basicly your average sbc 350 with old school stock heads with a mild comp cam and a few other bolt ons..... car probly had around 300-320hp at the flywheel and went an 8.90 at 82 mph in a full weight car with stock stall converter..... i bought a brand new holley 700 double pumper for it and had it tuned and jetted for my application and it ran very crisp and clean and very reliable...... well i had the motor all built up and got 200cc dart pro 1 heads that were cleaned up a lil bit and put a solid roller can shaft around 248 258 at 110 lsa and a little over 600 lift..... i have not gotten to hooking the vaccume gauge up yet and checking the plugs cause i just got finished doing a mild break in just cruising around..... but seeing i had the carb perfect for a 260ish rwhp car and going to something thats possibly in the 430-460ish rwhp range is the carb not being tuned properly for my new appication holding this car back pretty good??? my gues is yes that it needs to be tuned and its gonna be a good bit more peppy plus just run better all around since it probly has the wrong power valve..... what have some of you guys seen that have done something like this and had to redo the carb after alot of work was done???? and to the guys who have taken theyre time to answer me i really appriciate that! jake
Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cubic inch is the same, I'd say there will not be much change needed. Idle and PV's will probably need to be different of course but you probably know more about that than I do... I run a 3.5 PV up front...block the rear and run 8 sizes higher in the rear.

Very cool project car, I hope it works out well for ya..goodluck!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well the cubes are different in my case cause i went from a 350 cubic inch 300hp at the flywheel junk yard old worn out motor and went to a 388cubic inch dart head solid roller motor with alot bigger cam and this mottor on paper is supposed to have around 550ish hp at the flywheel.... i have yet to get this thing in the big power band cause its runing kinda rough but hopefully after the new powervalve and the majot exasut leaks are fixed it will run like it should... wish me luck
Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any other opinions on this?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a CFM calculator on the web somewhere and it works real well... I'd look into it and what size jets r u running? U may need to fatten the mixture and w/ a 388 get rid of the mechanical fuel pump! Just my opinion!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i hate that noise from an electric pump though..... but what am i missing by not running one?