Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muffler question

I have a LS1, with AFR heads and a mild cam, currently putting 385 to the wheels with stock camaro manifolds.

I'm upgrading to long tube headers... 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8", to 3.5" pipe.

At some point in the future, I'll be going to an "enlarged" LS2

Anyway, it's time to decide on a muffler. I'm trying to decide between:

Auger type muffler,
and Burns stainless ultra light muffler.

the Burns muffler is $$$$. Question is... how long an auger type muffler do I need, and how much will it end up weighing with the pipe it's in?

How much power is lost through an Auger muffler?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know your planning on "someday" building a bigger engine. But the headers are too big for anything making under 500 RWHP and 3.5" duals are just plain crazy unless your planning a 3.5" single system. Even 3" duals are overkill unless you wany looks over performance, by performance I mean usable power and tourque in the powerband you actually use and drive the vehicle in.

Power lost through a muffler is dependant on many things and can't really be cauculated, but a properly designed and sized system will cost minimal power on the top end and help build power on the low end.

Re'
Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
I know your planning on "someday" building a bigger engine. But the headers are too big for anything making under 500 RWHP and 3.5" duals are just plain crazy unless your planning a 3.5" single system. Even 3" duals are overkill unless you wany looks over performance, by performance I mean usable power and tourque in the powerband you actually use and drive the vehicle in.

Power lost through a muffler is dependant on many things and can't really be cauculated, but a properly designed and sized system will cost minimal power on the top end and help build power on the low end.

Re'
I won't quite reach 500 RWHP with my current setup... probably more around 420 once the headers are in.

The guy I bought the heads from was making 455 RWHP with long tubes on his vette, but my cam is not as aggressive as what he had.

I won't have but a few inches of 3.5" pipe (3.5" OD is what I measured on the header)... 4 into 1 collector, into 3.5, directly into the muffler and a short elbow after the muffler.

I appreciate your input though. Maybe I'll just move the engine swap up in the queue