Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

wiper arm squeak

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper arm squeak

On my 93 the wiper arms are squeaking (I think this is mainly from the drivers side) and I was currious what others have done to combat a noise I'd describe as having a screw driver inserted into your ear and twisted....

I swapped out to another set of blades hoping that would help but they didn't resolve the squeak so I'm not thinking this noise is not from the blade to glass contact but maybe the arm covers...

Thanks for the advice
Brewski

Last edited by Brewski; 05-27-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: forgot to add from drivers side
Old 05-28-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

uh..........spam?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Hmmm somehow I don't think spam will resolve this....

I've read a couple posts where folks have switched over to the LS1 wiper arms to get rid of the upside down j hooks. The catch 22 is I don't know if this was due to the squeak or that they wanted to run a universal blade and were unable to until replacing the arms. If it was to get rid of the squeak I'm curroius as to how successful the swap was etc...

Take it easy
Brewski
Old 05-28-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Err.... What's squeaking? The wiper itself, the arm, the motor?

If it's the wiper, just buy new wipers. If they're new, did you rub them down with the provided alcohol swab? If they didn't COME with one, then just get some lightly soapy water (probably hand soap instead of dish soap, or just washer fluid like I do at the gas station) and clean the rubber off. Every time I fill up, I use the window washer sponge and run it under the wiper (across the blade) to clean it. LOTS of dirt comes off, and my wipers always work awesome. I also Rain-x them the same way.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brewski
Hmmm somehow I don't think spam will resolve this....
no......someone posted up a link to spam after his post. it has been since deleted. you really think id tell someone to spam their wiper arm.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
no......someone posted up a link to spam after his post. it has been since deleted. you really think id tell someone to spam their wiper arm.
I didn't see the deleted post so thought you were stating my question was spam which was a little surprising thus the sarcasm....

Formula I'd have to guess but I'm thinking the squeak is from the plastic parts covering above the wiper arm. The noise takes place when the wipers are transitioning from going up to heading back down. Looking at the blades, winshield, pieces covering the arm etc... and I'm not seeing any obvious sticking point that's generating the noise. Figured I'd post to see what others who have ran in to it tried to do to fix it and what they found route cause to be.

Take it easy
Brewski

Quick Reply: wiper arm squeak