Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjusting rocker arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting rocker arms

My valve train is making noise, and I believe it is the YT Rockers. How do i go about adjusting them after i pull the valve covers?
Old 05-27-2008, 01:26 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you check if they were centered over the valve stems? Check the swipe pattern and then shim them as need to center it over the valve tip.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Did you check if they were centered over the valve stems? Check the swipe pattern and then shim them as need to center it over the valve tip.
I haven't pulled the valve covers off yet. Its my only vehicle, so I don't want to open it up unitl i know what i am going to do and that i have all the tools to do it.

What tools do I nees?
8mm & 10mm socket. what else?

What do i look for?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:34 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Wow, um, I guess you didn't do the install, who did it? You could always call them and ask them if they measured the swipe area of the rocker arms.

Off the top of my head sitting at work, I can't run down all the tools you're going to need exactly to do this. But my best guess is an 8 and 10mm sockets as well as a 24mm socket to turn the crank over and check the valve swipe pattern. I would hand check the rocker arms first to see if any are loose.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Wow, um, I guess you didn't do the install, who did it? You could always call them and ask them if they measured the swipe area of the rocker arms.

Off the top of my head sitting at work, I can't run down all the tools you're going to need exactly to do this. But my best guess is an 8 and 10mm sockets as well as a 24mm socket to turn the crank over and check the valve swipe pattern. I would hand check the rocker arms first to see if any are loose.
pulled the valve cover. Checked the rockers by hand and none where loose. Will hurt anything if i tighten them a 1/8 turn to see if that helps?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Check out this link http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=21
Old 05-27-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by landonew
pulled the valve cover. Checked the rockers by hand and none where loose. Will hurt anything if i tighten them a 1/8 turn to see if that helps?
That won't help and LS1howto is wrong. You need to check the wipe pattern as mentioned earlier and once the wipe pattern is set you need to measure for pushrod length. Anything less than this is just guessing as to the problem. Over tightening will only result in stripped threads.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
That won't help and LS1howto is wrong. You need to check the wipe pattern as mentioned earlier and once the wipe pattern is set you need to measure for pushrod length. Anything less than this is just guessing as to the problem. Over tightening will only result in stripped threads.
All the rockers were hand tight.

Question: If the valve train noise is on both sides, is it possible that the noise is just normal. It sounds like a sewing machine. The noise is like a ratteling that increases in frequency with RPMs. I am starting to think that i may just be paranoid.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:08 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

The valve train noise could just be normal, but again, I'd talk to the shop that installed everything if they checked the pushrod length and put in the proper pushrods.

If they are too short or too long, it could be making a noisy valvetrain, but again the only to make sure is to check.