General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a/c idler pulley - How to remove it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c idler pulley - How to remove it?

What the heck do you guys use to stabilize the pulley while you loosen up the torx bolt in the center? Trying to take the pulley off to grease it but damned if I can get the pulley to sit still for me to break the torx loose...

Ideas?

TIA!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned

You got me confused a bit. The pulley with the torx headed bolt is the idler, that bolt threads right into a solid piece of the compressor cradle.
I just put the torx bit in the bolt and took it out.
The bearing for that pulley slides on a shoulder, so it might spin a bit while you take it off but I don't see how it would prevent removal.

The tensioner pulley might give you a problem, since the tensioner moves around, but they don't have torx head bolts.

FWIW greasing the bearings is a waste of time.
I had a squeaking belt, greased the bearings, no change at all, three belts later no change.
The problem with my car is the AC tensioner is worn, sits crooked, and throws the belt out of alignment. The alignment problem causes the noise.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 01-06-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
You got me confused a bit. The pulley with the torx headed bolt is the idler, that bolt threads right into a solid piece of the compressor cradle.
The bearing for that pulley slides on a shoulder, so it might spin a bit while you take it off but I don't see how it would prevent removal.

The tensioner pulley might give you a problem, since the tensioner moves around, but they don't have torx head bolts.

I had a squeaking belt, greased the bearings, no change at all, three belts later no change.
The problem with my car is the AC tensioner is worn, sits crooked, and throws the belt out of alignment. The alignment problem causes the noise.
Yeah, it comes right off using a ratchet.

Mine started to do what yours did, throwing the belts as it tilted a bit as it got loose. A tech at the dealership looked at it one day when I pulled in and said, "you have to retap a new threaded hole for the metal bolt." I was like, "WHAT?"

The dude says, "pull that thing into this bay I'll do it for you in 10 minutes". He put it on the lift and retapped it and went over to parts and got a new metal bolt. I said what do I owe the dealership? He was like don't worry about it man. I gave him a $20 and its been great for 5 years.

Metal bolt in an aluminum bracket...the metal bolt will win. I think I overtightened one day and stripped it a couple months before.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss

maybe thats why mine is still making noise after i greased it! hummm