Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Air bag light on - how to test clock spring?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air bag light on - how to test clock spring?

I replaced a broken turn signal cancel spring today, and after re-assembly the air bag light stays on. It appears the most common cause is the clock spring will break if it wasn't perfectly aligned when reinstalled ... I thought I did it correctly but I may not have. It's an expensive part so I want to be sure it's defective, how can I test it?

Electrically, I put a meter on the wires at the connector at the base of the column, and then at the air bag connector coming out of the clock spring and it shows continuity from green to green, white to white ... so at first galance it seems like it's ok. Though strangely also continuity from white to green?

Physically when not on the shaft it turns about 3 inches between the stops, and if you depress the spring on the back it can spin it freely completely around ... there is no tension, not sure if they should be? It sounds like there is come kind of large coil spring in there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air bag light on - how to test clock spring?