General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rearend creak

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rearend creak

my car is completely stock and whenever I take turns at slow speeds, my rearend sounds like an old door creaking. any idea on what might be wrong?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possibly the bushings on the panhard rod or your lower control arms are shot?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'd say sway bar bushings
Old 05-28-2008, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, swaybar bushings. Get some energy suspension poly grease and redo them. Also check the spare tire, it can get loose and make all kinds of noise. Remove it entirely and drive around, see if the noise persists. Of course look over the panhard and lca bushings while you are redoing the swaybar bushings. And since you are doing the rear swaybar bushings it doesn't hurt to redo the front, the ES poly grease comes with enough to do both.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

www.torsen.com

"GM issued a technical bulletin adding modifier to the rear axle oil. This was done to quiet what we call a "Rusty Screw" noise that we heard in a very small percentage of vehicles. This does not happen in all cases, however to address owner's concerns we asked that the modifier be used in all instances to insure that the driver would not get this noise. When replacing the fluid it is at the owner's discretion whether or not to add the modifier. Elimination of the modifier does not affect durability of the differential."
Old 05-28-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by alamantia
www.torsen.com

"GM issued a technical bulletin adding modifier to the rear axle oil. This was done to quiet what we call a "Rusty Screw" noise that we heard in a very small percentage of vehicles. This does not happen in all cases, however to address owner's concerns we asked that the modifier be used in all instances to insure that the driver would not get this noise. When replacing the fluid it is at the owner's discretion whether or not to add the modifier. Elimination of the modifier does not affect durability of the differential."
Durability...... what a laugh. Check your rear fluids first off, and if everything is kosher there, then move on to bushings. If that's not the case then you got me on that one.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

alright, thanks for the help.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Since i already have a thread open i thought i might as well ask in here instead of making a new thread. My windows will usually go up but they go up slowly and sometimes when i just have the radio on for a bit they will usually only go up about halfway, then i have to drive around for a little bit until they will go up all the way. Do the motors need replacing or is it the battery? I'm also having problems with leaks in both windows. They don't leak when it rains but only if high pressure water is being shot at it like at an automatic car wash. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

That's a shot window motor. Bout an hour and a half to replace it. As far as window leaks, try some vasoline. I rubbed a little in on mine and it's stayed bone dry for years.